Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Finished up the front subframe along with the power steering rack, ididit steering column, wheel hubs and nuts/bolts. It has been some late nights in the shop this week, but very satisfying to get this all painted. Next is to get it all back together.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Made a lot of progress today. Dad and I put a full day in the shop. I got the motor and transmission bolted up while dad installed the suspension. I installed the oil pan, new gasket, oil filter and a bunch of little things too. I had to pull the transmission pump to put a spring in the pump that my torque converter ,yank performance, says to put in there. They need to see 180psi or more for convertor to work properly. I think the motor is pretty much ready except for all the accessories which I'll put on as I go. Dad torqued all the suspension components and put all the cotter pins in so it's all buttoned up. Next will be the brakes and routing of the lines.

TCI flexplate installed
pro yank 3600

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Got of little work done. Im waiting on some vbands to start the hot side piping so i decided to tackle the shifter. I used 3/16 metal and welded a plate to the transmission tunnel.

I did a lot of mocking up of where radiator and fans and intercooler are going to sit. This is what I came up with so everything can sit nicely. This is just mock up but the height is pretty correct. The yellow paper is mimicking the bumper. I cant hang the bumper because I need to cut the radiator support to make the intercooler sit flush behind the bumper. What are your guys thoughts with it hanging down. It is not the lowest part of the car. The transmission is still the lowest part of the car. This intercooler is about same height as crossmember. I know ride height will be a big part of the equation but it's not going to be sitting incredibly low. I think it's a 2" drop from factory that it sits. Does it look dumb to have the intercooler and piping peaking through? If I cut the radiator support to fit the intercooler flush, it would move back about 3 inches. I could put a front splitter/ diffuser on to hide it but then air flow for cooling could come into play.

Here is my other video that ties into the previous video of the suspension parts painted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is there enough room between the bumper attachment points to run a shorter, but wider intercooler? You can have the inlet and outlets just above the bumper support arms which would still hid it behind the bumper a bit. I am falling behind you so I am months away from getting into test fitment of my intercooler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Is there enough room between the bumper attachment points to run a shorter, but wider intercooler? You can have the inlet and outlets just above the bumper support arms which would still hid it behind the bumper a bit. I am falling behind you so I am months away from getting into test fitment of my intercooler.
It gets really tight really fast. I have never had the front grille and bumper on this car yet, and to my surprise it is really tight and not a lot of room. The only other place really is to put it where the grille is and modify the grille and or inline with the radiator and fan but that space fills up quickly too

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I haven't posted in a while, time goes by really fast. First off, We got the brakes all plumbed. I ran all the lines with nickle copper line. This stuff was really easy to work with. I have never started ran brake lines for an entire car before, so it was a learning experience for dad and I. It went pretty smoothly as we only needed 25 feet of line to do the whole car. Next i tackled the intercooler mounting. I got the intercooler to move up about 3 to 4 inches higher than in the previous picture. I wanted to keep the factory hood latch , so a lot of time was consumed into finding the best position. The intercooler only hangs down a little bit below the bumper, and i plan on running a front diffuser, so it will be hidden behind that. Dad and i made a tool to make a lip on the the cut ends of the intercooler piping since we dont have a bead roller. this tool works really nice and is really cheap to make. I got the turbo hotside piping all done as well. I used the stock truck manifolds and fliped them forward. I will put some exhaust wrap around the hotside to keep the heat in, but for now im going to keep them unwraped just in case i need to change anything. The radiator is installed to and im working on the routing of the hoses for that. Bought the injectors and went with snake eater performance 1000's. This should be plenty of injector for e85 and my horsepower goals. Next i will be finishing up the radiator support. I had to cut a lot of it out to fit the intercooler and radiator, so i have to strengthen it back up.

I used a vibrant turbo flex thats rated for turbo applications

Some stuff is really tight, and im going to make final clearances and adjustments when fender wheels are 100% installed.

Heres the bead roller tool dad made. Simple 3 inch exhaust clamp and a c-clamp with a die we made welded to the bottom.

the side on the left is the factory roll

It makes a really nice bump in it so the hose clamp cant slip off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

These are the brakes line holders we used. They are from a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy pick up truck (2000's era) They work
really well and fit nicely around the 3 inch tube housing.

This brake line flaring tool works really well and i highly recommend it for anyone that needs to flare brake lines.

Snake eater performance 1000's

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Litte update on the car. Got the fuel pump and fuel sending unit installed. Im using the hellcat 470 walbro pump. its good for e85 and hopefully this single pump will get me to my desired horsepower, or it should be really close. I had to order viton gaskets for the pump and sending unit from tanks inc, as the cork gaskets are not e85 safe.

Started running the fuel lines. I made some brackets for the fuel rails to fit to the truck intake and another bracket to mount the fuel pressure regulator. All my fuel lines are -8an and PTFE(teflon) lined. The fuel return will be -6an. I get these lines and fittings from anfittingsdirect.com. i really like these stainless steel lines because they are coated in a rubber/ gel. They are really nice to handle and i like the look of the black line. I will say they are kinda tricky to work with to get the fittings on. Once you understand how they work, they aren't too bad but some can be stubborn to put the AN fittings on. I made a pressure tester and test each line before i install them to make sure i wont have any surprises.

Drilled the holes for the wastegate and blow of valve. I was running out of room for placement of the wastegate so i decided to put directly on the hotside.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Had off this past week and i really got a lot of hours into the car. i ordered a sonnax 1350 slip yoke. installed it and took some measurements and had a local driveshaft company make it. Its made out of 3 inch chromoly tubing. Everything is 1350 series yoke, u joints and pinion. They assembled the driveshaft and painted it. they did a good job. got it back and installed it. I have plenty of clearance in the floor tunnel, but i am glad I added 1 inch to my driveshaft loop(pictures in previous posts) , otherwise that wouldn't have cleared. I can finish bolting everything up with the torque arm and check pinion angles. I painted some small parts that needed to get done. The fuel system is 99% done. i just have to hook up the gas gauge/ fuel pump, but I'm doing that when i wire the whole car. Tranny lines and cooler are hooked up. Went with a Derale remote mount cooler. Power steering lines and cooler are hooked up. I bought some -6an fittings for coming out of the power steering rack. I went to the local tractor supply store and used hydraulic hose with JIC fittings to hook up the the power steering rack for the high side. The cooler im using is junk picked out of a nissan altima. i made it work, i dont know if ill keep it that way, but it was free and will work for now. The way i routed the power steering lines, i kinda looped them left to right so it should provide a cooling effect too if nissan power steering cooler is too small. Welded up the core support where i cut it all apart for intercooler to fit. Got my turbo hotside wastegate welded on and blow off valve and IAT(intake air temperature) bung welded on cold side pipe. Wrapped the headers and hotside piping in DEI titanium wrap. Took 2 rolls of 50ft to get that job done. The car is starting to take shape. Parts and being installed getting ready for that first startup soon. still have to get the holley terminator , but hopefully soon.

1 inch of stickout for yoke until it would bottom out on transmission.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

Fuel line routing starting from tank. Feed and return and breather in the picture

I welded this breather right to the tank fill

E85 sensor on the return side

Welded a turbo bracket to flange and bolted it to the front on the head

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Making great progress, nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here are some pictures of the transmission cooler. The size of the actual cooler is 10x8 inches and the mount adds about 1.5 inches to each side. Right now i have it only about 1/2 inch away from the floor. I can move it away a little more but i'm going to have to angle it as the feed and return fittings will hit the braces under the car. I'm not sure if i need more clearance for air movement for the fan to pull better air, maybe someone can chime in with there results. I could have went with a bigger trans cooler and placed it under the passenger seat as there is a big opening in the floor board from factory that would really tuck it away. My worry was it would be too much tucked up away from natural rolling air movement, but maybe it doesn't make a difference. If your looking to add a remote cooler and dont know what size to pick, derale shows a very detailed drawing of sizes. i made a exact card board box and played around with options i had of placing it under the car .

101 - 115 of 115 Posts