Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. This is the beginning of my nova build. I am building this car with my dad. He has always wanted to have a cool car to build but has never had the time. He just recently retired, so he has a bunch of time now, and we decided to do a project together. I do auto body/restorations for a living, so i am really looking forward to being able to build a car for myself, and especially with my dad.

When i found this car, it had no motor, no transmission. That didn't bother me at all seeing how i wanted to put a LS swap in there anyways. The car is a California car. it was their until about the early 2000s, and then made it way over to wisconsin, where i am from. It hasn't been on the road in over 10 years, and the car is very, very clean. I can only see making 3 small patches in entire car, and one of them was from something falling on it by the C pillar/roof area. Tear down has begun on the car.

The car is going to be a street car that we can go to shows in and take cruises in as well. And take it to the occasional drag strip/autox couple times a year.

Engine plans are 6.0 (lq4) LS truck with a 4l80e behind it. I am going to turbo it and want to make 600 to 700hp.

I have a TCI pro touring kit/ torque arm kit on order, with a ididit steering column. I just need to figure out which rear end brand (ford 9") im going to get and then get it back to a rolling chassis. Mini tubs will also be installed. I plan on this being a 2+ year build, as i want to do this build to the best of our ability. the car will eventually get a full strip, but im probably not going to start on the outside body, until next fall. I should have it on a rotisserie after the suspension gets mocked up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Photobucket doesn't work for hosting pictures on here, allot use Flicker and/or others to post pictures. I can't figure it out but there's a post on it in the BS forum.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Photobucket doesn't work for hosting pictures on here, allot use Flicker and/or others to post pictures. I can't figure it out but there's a post on it in the BS forum.
thanks for the heads up. i used google photos this time around. i saw others using photobucket, and i was on my desktop and added a extension so i could see photobucket pictures through my desktop. then when i used my phone to look after u responded, it had the hosting problem picture. Im using google photo now and it is working through my phone and desktop, so hopefully i have it figured out. thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Sounds like a nice build....that 4l80e... you are gonna have to cut the tunnel to fit...the do fab work.
For your 9" check out quick performance rear ends ...guys name is Brayden...he makes a very nice rear end....super strong and his prices are way better then the big houses
Lots of guys on sns have used them
Good luck with your build!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a nice build....that 4l80e... you are gonna have to cut the tunnel to fit...the do fab work.
For your 9" check out quick performance rear ends ...guys name is Brayden...he makes a very nice rear end....super strong and his prices are way better then the big houses
Lots of guys on sns have used them
Good luck with your build!!

I have been looking into the quick performance housings. seems to be a fair price. im new to the whole rear end setups, as i come from the FWD crowd, prior to this build. I dont know if i need a 31 spline axle or just go with the 35 so i never have to worry, but is that too over kill? Or find a old 9inch and shorten to the size i need? but for all that messing around, i could have a new updated one thats not 40 years old. Also would a Detroit locker or a trutrac be a better option for the street. Seems to be 50/50 on what people like/prefer.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I have been looking into the quick performance housings. seems to be a fair price. im new to the whole rear end setups, as i come from the FWD crowd, prior to this build. I dont know if i need a 31 spline axle or just go with the 35 so i never have to worry, but is that too over kill? Or find a old 9inch and shorten to the size i need? but for all that messing around, i could have a new updated one thats not 40 years old. Also would a Detroit locker or a trutrac be a better option for the street. Seems to be 50/50 on what people like/prefer.
I would do trutrac.. that’s what I got.. works great....Detroit locker is for the track

·
Registered
150 Posts
If my car had that paint when I got it I wouldn't touch a thing. Love that patina! Mine has a 10 footer repaint, good from afar but far from good, lol! Nice car to start with for sure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If my car had that paint when I got it I wouldn't touch a thing. Love that patina! Mine has a 10 footer repaint, good from afar but far from good, lol! Nice car to start with for sure.
yea I have been told to leave it the way it is. I probably will get it up and running, and drive it to work out anything that needs attention to. But the whole car will get stripped so i can make it the color I want.(which i dont know yet lol)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Detroit lockers are miserable on the street. A trutrac is the best of all worlds, even works very well on a track.
I love my detroit locker on the street :)

If you get any turbo ls questions let me know... got a bit of experience doing mine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I love my detroit locker on the street :)

If you get any turbo ls questions let me know... got a bit of experience doing mine.
A Detroit locker is a great differential as long as you understand how it works and the mechanical noises associated with it. To the average person that knows nothing mechanical they think your car is a noisy piece of **** thats about to have the rear end fall out. I'll take the Trutrac anytime over the Detroit locker, they are the best of both worlds. Guys like Kyle Tucker of Detroit Speed use Trutrac diffs and they beat the snot out of them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Detroits have some odd feel when driving on the street... they engage with load on the pinion (in either acceleration or drag).. so when you are cruising down the freeway and are accelerating, it will "wag" as it engages.. then again when you take your foot off.. it takes some getting used to.

The TruTrack would be my suggestion...

In my offroad truck, I think I would rather have a spool than the detroit in the back.. sometimes.

N

·
0 Posts
my trutrac lasted about 2,500 miles behind a SBC before it started peeling only one wheel and was unfixable. Mostly cruising miles, never once at a drag strip but there were a few burnouts. started coming apart. not warrantied. I have a locker now and hate the noise and torque steer but it still works.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool build, I am doing a 66 wagon now LS/turbo 4l80 the intercooler is the hardest to fit if you want to have a/c . Here is my build so far
https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/66-nova-wagon-pro-touring-turbo.384533/
nice build / car u have there. yea i want to have AC in the car so i will have to play around with all of that. i see your fabricating all your exhaust side turbo piping. you using 2.5" mild steel? i see you used the stock exhaust and welded to those. do u plan to coat the outside of the exhaust piping with cerakote or something similar?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Use 2" pipes on the hot side. More room for other stuff, quicker spool, make tons of power.

I've been messing with this LS turbo stuff for a few years, and I usually give the same advice on forums. As always take it or leave it!

Forget the 6.0. Go buy a 4.8 or 5.3, save some money and make all the power you want.

Think of a turbo setup in these terms:

1) Engine management. Holley EFI, MS3 Pro, etc. Tons of safeties (important!) and flexibility. Throw the stock stuff in the garbage when it comes to boost.
2) Fuel system and type. E85 is awesome, preferred fuel for a turbo street car. But it takes a lot of it...a simple walbro 255 won't cut it. Expect to spend $$ here.
3) Torque Converter/trans. Gotta have the right parts here to survive and give the best performance. Blowing through the converter isn't "fun."
4) Turbo itself. These days, the quality on everything has gone up. Even the $400 On3 78/75 is making good power. But getting one sized correctly increases the fun factor a ton.
5) Use the biggest downpipe you can. 4" is a good starting point. Hot side doesn't matter as much. There's folks at Drag Week running 8's with factory manifolds and 2" pipes. Its about heat delivery to the turbine, not flow in a traditional sense.

Good luck and have fun!

1 - 20 of 165 Posts