Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at stuff before getting started on my 1966. Does anybody reproduce the glove box cover for my 1966 SS car. I've been looking around and haven't stumbled across anything aftermarket. If it isn't reproduced what is everybody doing in terms of refurbishing the original.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i got this info some place can't remember where. rudy at modern performance classics 714 639 7325. i've never called them. also what color is the words super sport on your glove box cover ?

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Not reproduced that I have ever seen. The steel door is now though. I have a bunch of used ones if you need one.

As for refurb, normal plastic repair for any cracks and broken studs. Can be carefully sanded, prepped and painted following procedures for plastic. Redo the chrome edge with a chrome paint pen. Extremely time consuming and you need a good core. If the ribs on the face are badly marred you normally cannot properly refurb them.

The are places that specialize in plastic repair if you do not want to do it yourself. Not cheap and make sure you find people that can vouch for their work. There are some real hacks out there. This type of work is like a form of art.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't got mine off but I think it will be in decent shape from what I can tell. I was looking around at things I know it needs trying to get a head start on buying stuff so it all doesn't hit at once. I'm probably still a year off. I need to finish a jeep project that is hopefully fixing to finally see color. I guess I'll try my hand at refurbing mine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
SS396.com has the glove compartment door and hinge combo. I don’t think that they come with the Super Sport script though.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
there was some talk months back on the super sport script..... was is chrome or gold or are the gold one just worn chrome script. i've got some glove box lids pics if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just looking at stuff before getting started on my 1966. Does anybody reproduce the glove box cover for my 1966 SS car. I've been looking around and haven't stumbled across anything aftermarket. If it isn't reproduced what is everybody doing in terms of refurbishing the original.
Just a suggestion but I go to my local guy that does car wraps and place wrap on the face to match my interior builds. For instance , I installed a carbon fiber gauge kit and matched the carbon fiber look to go on the face of my glove box and it looked awesome. I get a lot of asks at car shows on “how to”glove box trick .

the wraps are endless and look great if you got a good guy in town. Check his work first , also have him install the wrap decal as they have all the tricks to move the sticker or fix it .
I just finished a 66 and it looks amazing . You would think the whole dash is a kit.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
paddy...... do you have any pictures of that 66 ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes will load tonight for you

if you need any support when you get your 66 feel free to reach out. I have built alot of 66 novas and built some great ones and also have made all the mistakes on what not to do. ☹

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We built me a 65 a couple of years ago. A 1966 Chevy II has always been my bucket list car. I have it in the back yard under a nice cover just waiting on starting. I put Upol on the bottom of my jeep today. The engine and transmission is already in the frame as well as all the suspension. Just have to get it finished before starting on the 66. I don't have room for two builds at one time. The jeep is a 1980 CJ 5 we used to ride in when we were young. As always once it was started it ballooned and is out of control now. Once I got to taking it apart I found a lot more rust than I thought it had so a simple clean and refurbish has turned into a complete build. I will probably need a lot of help come 66 time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found one a few years back. www.mrgusa.com. They rechrome plastic and I'm happy with what I got. Cant hurt to ask...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts