Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the 12 gage red wire that comes of the starter and goes to the fuse block is suppose to exit the fire wall. I have the wiring schematic but its not much help in locating it. I seem to be missing it and nothing will power up. I am this close to starting it up after 4 years of rescueing someone elses basket case.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Here's a link to a 67 diagram. The key wires involved in getting the start circuit running aren't different between the two years.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/images/electrical/ChevyII1967-68.pdf

The OEM wiring has no red wire going directly to the starter other than the main battery cable. The OEM starter connections at the firewall are yellow (full 12v start to the coil), purple (starter activation solenoid feed), and a striped resistor wire (run, resisted voltage).

There's only ONE red wire that goes from the firewall to the engine bay. It runs to the horn relay from the firewall and is the fuse block's main feed.

If you've got a pic, it may help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 67 wire diagram is almost the same as my 66. I wish I had a way to scan it in. The big differance I see is a red 12 gage wire coming of the starter solenoid and going to the fire wall. They dont show where it goes after that so I assumed it was what feed the fuse panel. But after looking at yours and a few others it seems to get power to the fuse panel thru the horn relay. Am I right? I should have said I have converted over to a 1 wire alternator and HEI ignition. So all I will have is the purple wire and large battery feed going to the starter solenoid.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Your 67 wire diagram is almost the same as my 66. I wish I had a way to scan it in. The big differance I see is a red 12 gage wire coming of the starter solenoid and going to the fire wall. They dont show where it goes after that so I assumed it was what feed the fuse panel. But after looking at yours and a few others it seems to get power to the fuse panel thru the horn relay. Am I right? I should have said I have converted over to a 1 wire alternator and HEI ignition. So all I will have is the purple wire and large battery feed going to the starter solenoid.
It sounds like someone re-engineered your system in the past and ran the main fuse box feed wire directly to the starter. Is your 12g red wire from the fuse box connected to the main battery feed post on the starter? If so, that ain't the original setup. :no: It'll work, but it's not original.

How is your horn relay hooked up today?

The horn relay is the OEM location used to feed the fuse box. A wire usually runs across the core support from the battery to feed the horn relay. There should be a fusible link plumbed between the fuse box feed and horn relay also in order to keep things from melting down from a dead short. If that's missing, then definitely someone has played with the setup.

Converting to an HEI and 1-wire setup wouldn't have altered the wiring configuration very drastically. Some wiring would need to be removed/altered slightly to make that setup work properly, but it wouldn't have required anything to be reconfigured very drastically. It shouldn't have required feeding the fuse box from the starter solenoid.

Am I helping at all here? :turn::)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I have gone back over the diagram and the car. I am missing the wire that leads from the battery to the Horn relay along the radiator support (easy fix) That should get me up and running. As for the wiring diagram in the assembly manual it shows a wire going of the starter solinoid but doesnt show it going any where except to the front of dash (firewall). They call it a power feed but dont show that it feeds anything. So I guess that can be missing. I dont have a fusable link from the horn relay to the fuse block. just plain old 12 gage wire. The wiring diagram I have doesnt show one either. I wonder if they added it to 67 to cure a problem they had with 66. I will add one just to be safe. I will have to go back over your wiring diagram and figure out what size it should be. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a 12gage red wire on mine but it comes from the voltage regulator and goes into the hole that is on AC cars

·
Registered
403 Posts
The OEM wiring has no red wire going directly to the starter other than the main battery cable. The OEM starter connections at the firewall are yellow (full 12v start to the coil), purple (starter activation solenoid feed), and a striped resistor wire (run, resisted voltage).
There's only ONE red wire that goes from the firewall to the engine bay. It runs to the horn relay from the firewall and is the fuse block's main feed.
The yellow wire to the starter goes to which starter terminal? My starter has the battery ,"s" and another one.Purple goes to "s"?What color is the striped resistor wire? Where does that go to? Mine is a '66 6 cyl,if that helps.How can you tell if you have a fusible link wire? What do you look for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts