Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks out there with factory 1966 front bucket seat headrests (RPO A81) or regular front bench seat headrests (RPO A82)? These are available in reproduction, but you seldom see originals. According to Novaresource.org, only 556 Super Sports got them and 197 bench seat cars received the A82 version in 1966.

With only 10,000 1966 Chevy IIs built in Canada, I'm always amazed at how many got documented factory headrests. At an indoor car show a few years ago, there were three Canadian '66 Super Sports with factory headrests (one was a six cylinder). My Canadian L79 Nova SS is the only L79 I've ever seen with documented 'Strato' head restraints (see pic below). I have a book of over 3 dozen L79 pictures and none have factory headrests.

If you got 'em, let's see 'em!

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Bob, My Marina Blue L-79 that Tom Migut is restoring is a factory headrest car. Will add a pic to this post hopefully in the next couple days.
Mine is a Black interior car. I have only seen Pics of black interiors with headrests. Hopefully someone will post pics of other colors. Thanks for posting.

Bill

·
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, somewhere I did see a head rest 1966 SS with a red interior, but colors other than black must be rare for cars with the A81 option. Bench seat cars didn't have a black interior option in '66, so they must have had headrests in blue, red and fawn. Look forward to seeing a pic of your headrest L79.

Bob

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
head rest

I have seen black and medium turquoise. there was guy up here in Washington State that bled Nova and had parted, owned, and sold only Nova parts. had at one time had roughly 130 Nova's. I remember seeing those head rests in his secret stash. this guy had a stack of nos 66 headlight bezels four feet tall. he sold me a pair of nos fenders for my 63 hardtop $150.00 he was a parts guy for GM and had connections with parts guy at GM's distribution hub in Reno Nevada
I was just getting into Nova's when I met this guy he was NUTS for Nova's I remember he had thing four speed cars

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have seen black and medium turquoise. there was guy up here in Washington State that bled Nova and had parted, owned, and sold only Nova parts. had at one time had roughly 130 Nova's. I remember seeing those head rests in his secret stash. this guy had a stack of nos 66 headlight bezels four feet tall. he sold me a pair of nos fenders for my 63 hardtop $150.00 he was a parts guy for GM and had connections with parts guy at GM's distribution hub in Reno Nevada
I was just getting into Nova's when I met this guy he was NUTS for Nova's I remember he had thing four speed cars
You wouldn't happen to be referring to Dale with Novas-R-Us would you?

Bill

·
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice! Factory power seats also??
The Acadian RPO lists and codes were almost identical to the Chevy II, so no factory power seats. I believe Jim got this setup from an older Buick. Also, he made the incredible '66 Acadian door panels, because they aren't reproduced. Top rate car. Only 552 V/8 Acadian Canso SDs built in 1966.

If you want to see more of this great build here's a link:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313818

Bob

·
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In reply to a PM I received about whether headrests were coded as an option on Fisher Body cowl tags.

On U.S. built cars they were not cowl tag coded on the ACC line. However, the trim code had a letter following it on headrest equipped cars. The letter differed from plant to plant and could be an 'E', 'A' or something else.

In Canada, Fisher Body was an integrated operation within the multi model assembly facility at Oshawa, Ontario. Canadian cowl tags differed in format from those in the U.S. Options were coded on the cowl tag as the actual RPO codes used in ordering. Bucket seat headrests showed as A81 (buckets) or A82 (bench) on the bottom line of the tag.

Bucket and bench seat head restraints became standard equipment in 1969.

Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 66 Canadian built Nova Super Sport L79 has them (black). Listed as:

OPTION A81 HEAD RESTRAINT-SEATBACK

Jerry in KY

·
Vendor
1,835 Posts
There was an pretty original L-79 out of I think Vancouver, WA and it had blue interior with factory headrests. It also had transistorized ignition and a mountain of other options. Car had full documentation and I think even the sales paperwork.

Saw it at car shows but have not seen the car in probably a decade. Heard it got sold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts