Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The magazine looks to have several mistakes just on the lines circled.

The L32 was a 2 barrel 195hp 283
The L77 was a 4 barrel 220hp 283

FI028PP = L77 with a powerglide and air conditioning built in the Flint plant on October 28th 1965.

Your cowl tag shows:

11A = first week of November 1965 build date (That follows, since your engine was completed the week before)

F = Fawn interior sheet metal

11637 = Hardtop with a v8

3112 = sequence number, 3112th hardtop built (I believe each body style had their own sequence)

NOR = Norwood plant

M-M = Aztec Bronze exterior upper and lower

716 = Light Fawn Std interior (Not sure what the A is on this line, surely something to do with interior, maybe seat type)

E = Tinted Glass

Y = Deluxe Seatbelts

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Different sources show that PP engine suffix would be a 283/PG/AC/2 barrel. The magazine looks like it shows both, but that's in conflict with at least 2 other engine suffix code sources, one being an old Motors repair manual. From the engine suffix, or even the stamping, is there a way to ascertain it's a 4 bbl car?

Is it a 4 bbl now? I think there would be ways to determine if the car was originally the L77 283, as it would likely have a 3/8" fuel line all the way to the rear of the vehicle. Curious to know carb is in the car now or if it has been changed.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Yea, now it is a little less clear knowing you have a two barrel carb. Any of the sources used could contain errors. I know the novaresource site used many sources to compile the information and is probably a majority rules in some cases. It seems like an unlikely swap to put a 2 barrel on a 4 barrel car, but these cars did live through the gas crunch of the 70's.

Is the carb original? does it have the little metal tag?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Single or dual exhaust? 220 HP Chevelles got dual exhaust don't know if that's the case on Novas.

Heads, would they heads have a slightly smaller combustion chamber to increase compression?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not sure if the carb is original, that’s something I will look into and it’s a single exhaust, but I’m just thinking if it’s a L77 car it would have a heat choke hole on the top of the exhaust for the heat choke tube. Right ?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Single or dual exhaust? 220 HP Chevelles got dual exhaust don't know if that's the case on Novas.

Heads, would they heads have a slightly smaller combustion chamber to increase compression?

Good Call JD. I believe all L-77 came with dual exhaust. However, not all
L-30's came with dual exhaust. and obviously all L-79 came with Dual Exhausts.

My records that I usually refer to show a "PP" motor as a 283 2V w/Powerglide and A/C.

As far as the "A" on the cowl tag after the Interior Seat color, it refers to either Bench(A) or Bucket (B). The funny thing is since the car is a 11637, we already know that the car is a bench seat car. Norwood is the only factory to designate the seat "A" or "B". Willow Run would just leave the designation blank because the 5 digit model code already indicates what type of seat is required.

Bill

·
13,722 Posts
Yes, it's confusing when different information sources provide different answers to the same question. I go with it being a 283/195 HP. Strange things can happen, but I've never heard of anybody converting a 220 HP/283 to a 195HP/283 :).

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Cool car, cool color. With the 2bbl, likely not dual exhausts. If you had any question that it might be the 220 HP version, you could check fuel lines and check to see if there is any evidence of dual exhaust hangers in the rear of the car per the assembly manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
[/IMG]

The PP code may be correct i have a 1966 4dr deluxe 400 nova it also was built in November of 1965 purchased December 24, 1965. Also has 283 PP code 2bbl, PG, AC and power steering. I believe some of these late 65 block were still mark with PP code which appears to be correct for a 65 nova with the same options and i know block is original to car because it been my family since day 1 and i am only the second owner. I check my code again and it was built 19 days before jon102966 was. Engine code is FI09PP, and a194 casting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also look at Novaresource website he has a lot of good info on there including rpo numbers and codes and some build quantites

1 - 20 of 40 Posts