Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last year was the Alum. Rad. and this year, I plan on buying a better fan (better then the OE 4 blade), moving the fan closer to the rad. and adding a electric fan to help keep it cool.

At cruzing speeds (around town and highway) the temp is good, but the second I come to traffic or a cruzin where it takes 30 mins at 5mph, the temp climbs and sometimes starts to barf into the overflow tank.

My delimma is that the Jegs/Summit Universal Rad has outlets that are slanted and no way of mounting a shroud without a considerable amount of fab'ing. Also, because of the cost of the shroud, I would hate chopping it up.

I have a trans cooler mounted on the engine side of the rad, so I would rather go with a push fan and not have to move the trans cooler and go with a pull fan.

Problem is, is that there is only 1 1/2 inches depth between the rad and the hood latch.

Hmmmmm....

Anyone know of a THIN push fan?

(I read through the other cooling thread and plan on rechecking the timing too)

Anyone have any other ideas, aside from the "last resort" in moving the trans cooler?

TIA !!

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(There were about 5 threads lost, but here is a quick followup...)

Well, I had to bite the bullet and remove the trans cooler from the back of the rad. I bought a 1 inch spacer, put the new fan on and installed the electric fan and MAN, IT SUCKS !!

That is, it sucks air !!!! :) :)

With the electric fan off and the engine running in fast idle, I could feel air being pulled through the rad, but when it bumped down to regular idle, I couldn't feel any pull. With flip of the switch the electric fan was set spinning and I was amazed at the air flow through the rad. In fact, with the temp at 180-190 and the electric fan spinning, I could touch the front of the radiator and it was cool to the touch (in the area where the fan was pulling air through).

Now I have to find a place for the Trans Cooler. :rolleyes:

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Brent- The way you have your new set-up kinda makes the mechanical fan redundant. Take the time to to remove the mechanical fan and compare your temperature readings to when you had it on while running with the electrical one. You will most likely see no or very little differance. So- gain some H.P. and take the old one off. I still would look into installing one of those special shrouds Summit makes for your radiator. It'll be worth the time and expense to put one on. Dale

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've made up a blueprint drawing for a new aluminum shroud that will universaly fit either an old style radiator or new style Summit aluminum. It has to be a happy medium. Derale is going to cut it out with their laser and we'll see. If I cannot make it fit on both, I'll opt for the Summit because it seems that this has been the radiator of choice lately for alot of us due to their low cost. As for that fan, It has problems keeping cool in traffic,and my criteria is steep at keeping the temp below 210 degrees sitting on a hot day. And it is a big cube small block. I think this new fan will be the cat's meow for tight fit applications. I also am pretty sure you can install it in front of the radiator in our little Nova's with some minor mods. Now thats something to say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Summit Rad + Full Shroud

I'm going thru the steps of installing a Summit Alum Rad and full Fan Shroud
with the Flexalite 2500 cfm 16" fan. Shroud is very easy to make from Alum.
Box it at 1" depth. My problem with March pulleys is the W.P. nose cone hits
the back of the fan motor. I removed the nose cone and have 1/8" clearance.
I may have to make a less deeper shroud 3/4" - NOTE: shrouds at 1/2" depth
do nothing for air pull, at 1" the shourd allows the fan to pull arcoss the entire face of the Rad Core. I may have to do 3/4" to gain W.P. clearance
or not run a Shroud, I'm in FLA and dont want to overheat sitting in traffic,
therefore prefer the Shroud setup (maybe at any cost).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now in reading this I have to reply..Please check into the *f#@% Taurus fan, it has A shroud built in, covers most of the summit rad. I will try and get some pics of my install...very clean install and you can move the rad. location a little to the side if needed, but the fan motor clears a short w.p. with no problem....... mount your trans cooler in front of the rad.........Chris

·
Registered
491 Posts
That is they way I have my car setup.
Taurus fan, no mechanical fan and the tranny cooler in front of the Summit radiator.
Runs real cool up to 200 and back down to 175.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts