Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys bought a 1966 chevy nova a month or so ago the guy I bought it from had it for over 30 years it only has 25000 actual miles I bought it as a true 118 ss the guy told nothing has ever been changed only power disc brakes added the last 6 digits match the vin it has a 12 bolt rearend and 327 motor and 4 speed muncie it he claims it's a L79 car anyone have any knowledge on this thanks in advance

Attachments

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
Welcome!

I don't know anything about the history of your car...but I really like it!! It's one of my favorite years, and colors! There is just something special about a marina blue 66 SS L79 4-speed. My dad had one just like yours in the late 70's when I was an early teen and it made quite the impact on me. Sadly, I never did get to drive it but it sure was a blast riding with him in it.:yes::yes:

Registered
I see now that it's a ZI and that the vin matches your vin. Wow, what a find. See NovaResource.net for Vin decode and engine decode info.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I've decoded the cowl tag and engine numbers on nova resource as far as I ca tell it comes up as a 327/350

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to see what everyone else thought with the numbers matching and I know that would be a very rare and hard find

Looks like you snagged a 'real deal' L79. Engine matches the car's VIN and build date of the car. Unless there's some original paperwork, that's about the best you can do for proof on a U.S. built car. The L79 Chevy II did not have a rad spacer. Not sure how that got in there. Has the car had a re-paint? You probably already know that in 1966 rally wheels and red lines weren't available. Easy fix if you want to make it correct. Congrats on the car. Great find!

Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah not completely convinced of the L79 thing but I do have some other paperwork that came with the car havent had time to go through it yet and yes it has had a repaint but it has all original metal even the floors are original but was happy to see the numbers match and the casting number on the rearend comes back as a L79 I guess it's an interesting car to say the least

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The front seats never had new covers put on them shows very light wear and the rest of the car I believe the miles to be true everything works as it should original wiring in very good condition original body panels

Registered
If my memory serves me right, those Chevy II's were known as "hemi-killers.. With a stiff set of gears, that little car would beat anything.... Nice car.

Registered
I found a partial build sheet between the springs and jute of the rear seat during the tear down stage. Don't remember if it was the lower or upper piece. Only a partial sheet because the nesting rats ate the other half! Don't know if it would give you any more detail. Great looking car!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
1966 ss

Yeah Dave I couldn鈥檛 believe it myself I kept looking at all the numbers for a week and it all matches just didn鈥檛 think I would ever find a numbers matching car where I鈥檓 at here in ohio and the L79 is just a bonus I have had a few people hounding me to buy it daily now and I tell them I bought it to keep

1 - 17 of 17 Posts