Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 Chevy II (118) factory 4 speed car. Attached are pictures of the pictures of the studs in the floor board in front of the rear end and the brackets at the rear of the car. Everything looks to have been there for a long time...possibly original to the car.

Are the rear brackets used on all dual exhaust cars?

Thanks,
Rob

Wood Automotive tire Line Tints and shades Beam
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Metal Auto part
Brown Wood Line Gas Metal
Automotive tire Wood Wheel Gas Rim

·
Registered
245 Posts
The exhaust bracket that is bolted near the back bumper is the original exhaust bracket to hold the resonator in place. Your Nova must have came with dual exhaust.

I agree with menova, the driver side has factory nuts welded in beside the drivers side upper shock mount. The passenger side has the crushed nuts, my understanding is that is original to your car as well.

Frank

·
15,023 Posts
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies. I checked the N10 section in the assembly manual also. Guess all dual exhaust cars had resonators.
Thanks again,
Rob
In 1966, L79 and L77 (220HP/283) were the only Chevy IIs to come standard with factory dual exhausts and resonators. I don't know how accurate the figure is, but Novaresource.org shows just 1475 other Chevy IIs got the RPO N10 dual exhaust option. The single exhaust L30 Chevy II (275 HP/327) also had a factory resonator.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In 1966, L79 and L77 (220HP/283) were the only Chevy IIs to come standard with factory dual exhausts and resonators. I don't know how accurate the figure is, but Novaresource.org shows just 1475 other Chevy IIs got the RPO N10 dual exhaust option. The single exhaust L30 Chevy II (275 HP/327) also had a factory resonator.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,
Thanks, would the L77 have come with a 3/8 inch fuel line? My fuel line is looks right according to the assembly manual and looks as crusty as the rest of the car.

Thanks
Rob

·
15,023 Posts
327 Chevy IIs had a 3/8 fuel line. The assembly manual states the 220 HP/283 (L77) fuel line is the same as the L30 (275HP/327). If this is correct, the L77 would be a 3/8
fuel line.

Do you have an L77 283 CID engine in your '66?

Bob

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The original drive train is long gone from my car. It only has a 12 bolt Chevy II BS code rear end with a build date of 26 September 1966 (1967 Model year). No other documentation is with the car.

Thanks
Rob

·
15,023 Posts
The original drive train is long gone from my car. It only has a 12 bolt Chevy II BS code rear end with a build date of 26 September 1966 (1967 Model year). No other documentation is with the car.

Thanks
Rob
The 1966 model year ended in early July, 1966 and the '67 production started in the last week of August, 1966. If your car was built September 26, 1966, it would be a '67 Chevy II.
Could that September 26th actually be 1965? That would make it a 1966 model.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car is a 1966 Chevy II. The rear end was built 26 September 1966. I know it not original to the car.

My car is pretty rough. No engine or transmission. I am going to restore it in the next couple of years and will drive it. I am doing some causative research to determine as much about the car as possible with what I have.

·
15,023 Posts
According to Chevy by the Numbers, BS code is a 12 bolt 3:31.1 posi rear axle used in 1965 thru 1969 Chevy IIs. If the axle is not original to the car, the date September 22 could be any year from 1965 to 1968. If the cowl tag is still in place on the firewall, there's a Fisher Body date code that will give you an idea when the car was built. It will be at the top of the tag and be something similar to 09C or the like.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts