Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post some YouTube videos documenting progress of the bodywork on my '66. The bodywork decision was made following a trip to the track. I knew traction would be lousy with the street tires, but figured it would be fun anyways. Run #1 is here.

Besides blowing the tires at the launch it was a pretty uneventful run.

Run #2 was next. My dad has helped me with this car over the last 26 years and drag raced a ton back in the day. His run was a bit more aggressive as seen here.

Fortunately, damage was limited to the car, although his ego was hurt a bit too.

Within a week, we had it off for the first round of body work. Damage to be repaired is documented here.

The frame guy did an excellent job. I lost that video, but will create another in the near future and update this thread. Next, we completely stripped the car and sent it in for sandblast. I knew the car had some rust in the quarters, bud didn't realize how bad it was. The extent of rust, along with rust repair is documented here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB_ssQ3aMJY&list=UULAcJNjUxUsP-lAebJz0cxw&index=1&feature=plcp"]
[/URL]

I was able to work alongside the body guy for a while over the weekend. He did a much better job pulling the dent out of the drivers door and welded the holes. We had a bit of hammer and dolly work to the lower door edge to align it with the rocker. He also welded up the side trim holes and welded some torn areas in the door's structure. We performed similar work to the passenger door (less the dent repair) and dug all the factory seam sealer out of both doors. He pulled a few dents out of the rear of the deck lid and welded the holes. We also completed a bit of hammer and dolly work to match the right edge to the contour of the new fender. We thoroughly cleaned these parts and applied two wet coats of PPG's DP74 epoxy primer inside and out.

He'll finish the bodywork and blocksanding this week on the doors and deck lid and we plan to move on to the car body over the weekend. I'll try to post another progress report within the next week.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Look good so far, the wreck is a bummer but looks like its gonna be a better car this time around

·
Registered
750 Posts
Think of the accident as the motivation you needed to do the work you always wanted to do. :D

Seriously though, I always like to see these kind of projects done right. How much of this work are you doing yourself? Sounds like you have a body shop that your comfortable working with?

Keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think of the accident as the motivation you needed to do the work you always wanted to do. :D

Seriously though, I always like to see these kind of projects done right. How much of this work are you doing yourself? Sounds like you have a body shop that your comfortable working with?

Keep us updated on the progress.
We have a really good local metal guy that did the frame straightening, rust repair and panel install. The body guy is someone different that has done this as a hobby for about 50 years. He's a master with the body hammer so we only end up with a skimcoat of body filler. I wish I could do the work myself, but don't have the time or skillset to achive the quality I want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts