Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to the 1966 Acadia Canso SD. We have spent hours on the internet trying to locate information on this model. Could somebody please tell me are there any links to information regarding stock specs of this car or any information that might be known to any members.

We are interested in purchasing this Colorado car but can not determine if $50,000 is too much to pay.

Thanks for any info.

Butch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link.

We have been getting conflicting numbers of production on the L-79 option. There is currently a 66 listed on ebay in Colorado that we are interested in, which would be very convenient since we are also in Colorado, the car appears to be very original and in outstanding condition. We are just concerned if the $50,000 price tag is at least a moderate value.

Butch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$50,000 seemed plenty steep to us too, but after hours of searching and turning up very little information on this canadian nova and conflicting production numbers (none over 100 produced) we felt it must be a very rare vehicle. You can see it for yourself on ebay item number 280229717912.

Thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
They made 552 Acadian Canso Sport Deluxe in '66. That's a total with all motors from 194 6cyl to the L79 cars. Bob from the Canadian L-79 registry has the numbers so check back here later.
I believe under 170 L-79 Novas and Acadians total were made in Canada at the Oshawa plant, that's all models including sedans. Something like 63 Acadians (Bob should have the information).
I had a chance to buy that car almost 10 years ago, it was in Grand Rapids Michigan then if I remember correctly. Our dollar was weak and I couldn't justify it then.......
I think there's a few things wrong with the trim but it has the correct interior door panels (hard to find) and needs minor corrections. One thing wrong is the horn center cap (easy to get), it should be chrome and have a leaf with an "A". It should also have 9 fender louvers per side, this car used to have 7 or 8 when I first saw it, and it may be corrected by now. The trunk emblems need to be reversed ("Acadian" should be on the right). I believe it is missing the hood "Acadian" script.
Nice ride, low production, and rare to be #'s matching.
Let us know if you get it.
Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the information and we will definately check back later for any additional information that Bob could supply to us.

When you had a chance to buy it what was it going for then? What would be your input for a $50,000 price tag?

Butch

·
13,822 Posts
Dan is correct. There were only 63 Acadian L79s (all models) produced in 1966 according to GM Canada. There are no figures on how many were SDs, but we estimate maybe 30-40, with the remainder being 2 door benchseat hardtops and 2 door sedans. There are 3 L79 Canso SDs in the Canadian L79 Registry including this Ebay car. Another 3 are known to exist, but are not registered.
This car has GM Canada documentation to prove it's the real deal. As Dan mentioned in his post, there are some things that need doing to make it 100% correct. As for price, this car got up close to $60,000 in an earlier auction. but didn't meet reserve. Personally, I would never buy any car like this off Ebay without seeing it.
Bob

PS: The Acadian is not a Canadian Nova. It was a stand alone model sold at Pontiac-Buick-Acadian dealers in Canada. Chevy IIs were also built in Canada, including L79s. B.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I believe the car was $25,000usd, with our exchange rate it would have been over $30,000cdn at the time. That was around 10 years ago (plus or minus a year or two).
I'm an Acadian guy so I figure they are worth more than a Nova!:yes: Rarer, documented, and I like the trim, tailights, and grille etc. of these cars.
Rare doesn't always equal more valuable but I feel there is a case for this car to be more so than the Nova.
The main issue is a lot of people don't know much about these cars, even up here in Canada. Like Bob said, Acadian and Beaumont (based on the chevelle platform) were produced as a seperate marque name to be sold at Pontiac dealers. They are often refered to as Pontiacs because of this but early paperwork and GM press releases never refered to them as the Pontiac Canso but a Pontiac Acadian was made in the late 70's on the chevette platform. Acadians based on the Nova platform ceased production in '71.
Is this car worth $50,000, you have to decide. Like Bob said, you need to view it in person to know for sure and it's a buyer/seller market. I do know that '66 Nova L-79's have sold for that much and more.
Hope this helps,
Dan

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I would think here in the US it would be worth a tad more since you just don't see em down here.

The 1st one I saw up close and personal was a 67 Canso @ a Pontiac/Oakland convention.. I was scratching my head until I asked questions.
It was BEAUTIFUL !!!!! I have a 10x13 framed in my car room (front bathroom). I will try to scan it and post this eve.

Jim

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I would think here in the US it would be worth a tad more since you just don't see em down here.

The 1st one I saw up close and personal was a 67 Canso @ a Pontiac/Oakland convention.. I was scratching my head until I asked questions.
It was BEAUTIFUL !!!!! I have a 10x13 framed in my car room (front bathroom). I will try to scan it and post this eve.

Jim

Was that the blue on blue, 6 cylinder car? If so, a guy on this site owns it. I've only seen pictures but it looked really nice.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank's for all your help guys. I would never buy a car with this price tag sight unseen. Fact is I only live 240 miles from golden and I am going there next week-end. Just did'nt know if something like this would be a sound investment or not. You all helped me alot. Thank's

Butch

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
"It should also have 9 fender louvers per side, this car used to have 7 or 8 when I first saw it, and it may be corrected by now."

Dan, those louvers are mounted incorrectly also. They are straight up and down and should be tilted with the upper edge forward, paralleling the slope on the headlight molding.

-wayne

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Wayne. The fender louvers are incorrect. I don't like to critique other people's cars, but Butch you want to know. The hood "Acadian" script and wind splitter are missing, etc,etc. But more importantly, I would be asking if all of the original drivetrane (as listed on the GM of Canada documentation), is still there. Check the "numbers" of heads, carb, intake, exhaust manifolds, distributor, M20, and the rear end. Things like the correct horn button, seat belts, correct radio, etc., are all needed to make this car worth the money. I own 2 67 Canso's and a 66 Nova L79. I would like to own the car on eBay, but for $50,000, everything in the drivetrane would have to be correct to get "all the money". I love Canso's, but I think in the U.S., 9 out of 10 buyers would still buy a comparable Nova to a Canso, because of the lack of knowledge of Canso's. I also think it will be that way for a while longer, but someday that will change.

Good luck, it is a hard decision,
Jerry in KY

·
13,822 Posts
I would be asking if all of the original drivetrane (as listed on the GM of Canada documentation), is still there. Check the "numbers" of heads, carb, intake, exhaust manifolds, distributor, M20, and the rear end. Things like the correct horn button, seat belts, correct radio, etc., are all needed to make this car worth the money. I love Canso's, but I think in the U.S., 9 out of 10 buyers would still buy a comparable Nova to a Canso, because of the lack of knowledge of Canso's. I also think it will be that way for a while longer, but someday that will change.
Good luck, it is a hard decision,
Jerry in KY
Jerry, the GM Canada documentation only gives you the engine suffix code. None of the other numbers are given, so it's hard to know whether the remainder of the drivetrain is original or not. According to the current owner, the engine is the original. The original heads have also been installed since the pics were taken. The carb is not original or correct and the distributor is unknown. He believes the transmission and rearend are original, but numbers would have to be checked against build date. etc. As I stated in an earlier post, only a personal inspection of this car would determine if it's worth $50,000.

I agree with you that buyers in the U.S. would lean towards a comparable Chevy II before buying an Acadian, even though the Acadian would likely be a far rarer car.

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts