Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals...

Has anybody seen the aftermarket trunk trim that was on E-pay(alot) about a year ago?

The situation is that the piece of trim I have is in ok condition but needs to be restored. I know there is someone on this site that does resto on this but was wondering if anybody has made their own or knows whom might be into making these?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Dan

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
pot metal restoration

Last time I spoke with George lucas he said he found a rechromer that is doing pretty good pot metal restoration.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I know a few places out there that can restore pot metal too. I just don't know of any forum members doing it. There's more to it than just rechroming. You have to repair cracks and fill pits and other damage too if you want the results to be decent. Not too many people have flawless cores to rechrome.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My plater i work with is real good and reasonably priced..(If you give him a decent piece to plate.)Why bother plating junk? It'll cost you fortune.Unless it's a one off rare piece.Believe me i know a good plate job when i see it.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Plating them is the easy part. Some parts are easier to find in decent shape than others. Those parts on the table are ones that usually aren't too bad.

How many used rear diecasts do you see out there that are pit-free?

Not too many.

Certain years are more prone to pitting than others due to their design. You ought to know, you have a 65 SS.

It's pretty-hard to find a nice 65 rear diecast without any pitting in between all of those ribs.

How about a 66 or 67 SS rear diecast? Real hard to find without damage (unless you want to pay $7500 from that guy on ebay).:D

Unless you have a nice pit-free core or have all the damage repaired (very expensive), you're wasting your money getting it re-plated because it will just end-up looking like a shiney piece of crap.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
64ProNova,

very vaild points and as I sit here contemplating on what to do, it looks like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The piece i have has some pitting to it and as you mentioned, it will cost a fortune to get it done right.

Here are some pics:

I did see a couple of these on E-pay but they are a tad pricey.....

Dan

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Looking at your photos I see most of your pits are in the recessed portion
of the trim piece. I had a couple like that and ground down the raised pits and used high build primer to take care of the dimples and painted it silver, in the recessed area between the ribs and the outside of the piece, like it was when new. It looks a lot better and more than good enough for any driver quality car. I can take some photos of how mine turned out if you want sometime.

64ProNova,

very vaild points and as I sit here contemplating on what to do, it looks like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The piece i have has some pitting to it and as you mentioned, it will cost a fortune to get it done right.

Dan

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
JR,
Nopork,

if possible, I would like to see some pics..

Thanks

Dan
Here you go the one on the car I repainted the red, black and blue parts in addition to taking care of the pits.

The other extra one was the worst one and I have not done anything with the red,blue, or black paint work yet.

The other one I am not done with yet, it just has the silver painted and the pits on the outside recessed part taken care of: (sorry some are kind of blurry)

More photos here:
http://www.pbase.com/nopork/nova_trunk_molding

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
JR,

those prices are ranging from 200 to 300 dollars... That is where the dilemma lays, spend that kind of cash on another used one or restore the one I have now...

Nopork,

Thanks

Dan
Dan,
If i were you i'd buy the one on ebay for $200.looks good to me.You can't plate them for that.JMO

George

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
PM'd you with my cell number. Call me

JR,

those prices are ranging from 200 to 300 dollars... That is where the dilemma lays, spend that kind of cash on another used one or restore the one I have now...

Nopork,

Thanks

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts