Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any information or pictures of the carpet ring for a 4 speed non console car. It is colored coded to match the carpet, made from flexible plastic goes on top of the shifter ring and boot , it is around the carpet.

Thank You.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
carpet retainer

the part you are referring to is made of pliable plastic. there is guy out that had these reproduced a few years back in a few colors. I will look up his info. I bought a light colored one from him years back I think the color was fawn. I used Bull Dog paint prep for adhesion and then painted to my liking. here is some photo's of the finished product.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That part is exactly what we need. Can you get contact info for the gentleman? We were going to try 3d printing one. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
sedan with rubber mat

What about if you have a 4 speed sedan with the rubber mat? Is the hump ring screwed over the top of the rubber mat and no ring?

Jerry in KY

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
I don't think the picture shown is correct for a 4-speed 100 series car with the rubber mat. It's a bench seat shifter for sure, with the ring and 7 screws, ring being black, over the boot. No plastic trim ring. That ring is color coded to the carpet on 400 series cars with 4-speed.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
I don't think that the color-coded ring goes on a console car either, even with carpet. I think that's just the ring and the boot.

The color coded ring, if I remember correctly, is a U-shaped channel, the U-shape toward the outside of the ring. The channel is wide enough to accommodate the carpet, and it's there so that you don't see the edge of the carpet.

Many moons ago I had a wonderful Canadian GM book that had ALL the part numbers for '62-'67 ChevyII and Nova, and exclusively for those cars, with superseding numbers up to 1970, they year it was published. It was, for me, the Bible on part numbers and usage of certain parts on cars. I sold the book and there are bootleg copies out in the world, as I'm certain that there are other genuine copies of the book. I'd think that looking up that flexible plastic color-coded ring in the book would show a reference to a 400 series Nova (non-SS) for it's usage. Anyone on SNS with the book?

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
3849850 and 3849851 are the metal ring and the boot, which they call a retainer and a seal, respectively. I'm going off of the '65 assembly manual, page 258. On this page they mention a 'seat separator and trim plate' which we know to be an SS console, and that's what the picture depicts, installation of these items on a '65 SS. There is no call for this color coded plastic ring under the 'console' or 'seat separator and trim plate'.

The assembly manual does not reference this plastic part. However, my '65 Nova wagon came with one, turquoise, and color coded to the carpet. I don't even think it was stapled to the carpet, just set in the cut out and it never popped out or never went anywhere. But again, that was a 400 series with an M-20, so it would have the ring.

My '64 100 series sedan with factory 4-speed had only the rubber mat, a black boot and a black ring to hold down the boot, screwed in over both the boot and the rubber mat, bench seat shifter. I think that's the way they came for 100 series.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
carpet grommets via GM parts book

here is a relic from July 1st. 1966 colors and part numbers for grommets for Chevy A.K.A. Nova

Charlie p.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I found this picture not sure if its correct
Anyone know where to get the rubber mat in this picture? I'm building a 62 100 series sedan and installing a 4 speed and would love to make mine look as good as this picture.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Props to both Nova Boy and Charlie for the searching. Charlie, I think that's the page to reference, and it's out of a parts book with all Chevrolet models. My experience has been that Chevy refers to big car (Bel Air, Impala, etc.) and that Nova is Nova, NOT Chevy II. So referring to the page with the grommets listed (and their colors) again, I interpret that as Nova (400 series) gets the grommet to match the color of the carpet, while the SS does in fact get a black grommet that goes around the carpet opening that you'd never see under the console. I stand corrected there. But with no ChevyII listing, just the ring and the boot.

Anyone tell me why that ring was made with 7 screws and not an even number? I still don't get that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Props to both Nova Boy and Charlie for the searching. Charlie, I think that's the page to reference, and it's out of a parts book with all Chevrolet models. My experience has been that Chevy refers to big car (Bel Air, Impala, etc.) and that Nova is Nova, NOT Chevy II. So referring to the page with the grommets listed (and their colors) again, I interpret that as Nova (400 series) gets the grommet to match the color of the carpet, while the SS does in fact get a black grommet that goes around the carpet opening that you'd never see under the console. I stand corrected there. But with no ChevyII listing, just the ring and the boot.

Anyone tell me why that ring was made with 7 screws and not an even number? I still don't get that.
Good stuff guys, but I don't think an 66 SS got any sort of carpet ring under the console. I see that it is listed in the above parts book. Might be an error. A good friend of mine showed me his 67 parts book and the "66 Black ring" is no longer listed. And the "66 Black" ring wouldn't be for a Nova because you couldn't get a black interior in a Non SS car in 66. Now 67 is different story. Maybe that ring is actually for a 67 SS or non SS cars with black carpet? Who knows. Anyone ever seen a plastic ring on an original SS car?

Bill

·
13,694 Posts
Anyone ever seen a plastic ring on an original SS car?

Bill
The only one I've seen, Bill, was on an eBay car a few years and it obviously wasn't meant to be. It was visible under the edge of the console. Looked ridiculous. I don't think there's room to hide a ring completely under the console and I'm not sure why anyone would want one under there anyway.

Bob

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

My early parts books are interesting to say the least as far as model identification. both are for Corvair, Chevy II and Chevelle models. I believe they refer to Chevy as sub model to the Nova such as standard and deluxe model numbers. I have had these books since the eighties very interesting and full of information.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Yeah, probably right. In instances like this, I'll always side with the empirical evidence gathered by Nova people taking apart cars over the years. Doesn't make sense if it's hidden, and that an inference from the parts book is only a start. The '65 assembly manual doesn't show it either.

And yeah, there would be very little room for the ring to fit under the driver's side of the seat separator and trim plate...er, console.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think I know why they went with the odd screw count. I believe it was to correctly register the boot which is offset front to rear. The offset of the bellow on the boot goes towards the rear and I almost assumed that it goes to the front. Thankfully there were indented marks for the screw holes in the boot to sort me out. And it fit correctly with that orientation. Just a guess of course but seems to fit....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts