Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the web for a new headliner in blue for a 66 4 door and have run into an issue as to what blues that were available for the 4 door . There are light blues , med. blues , metallic blues , bright blues and dark blues , different opinions on what matches what and which one to choose when matching factory interior panels . I guess what the first issue is what blue was actually available in the 4 door sedans ? The car had a non-original blue vinyl headliner in it but I did find a small piece of the original material in the car , it was kind of a med blue with small raised dots in a diamond pattern . I' seen no less than 3 different patterns called "basket weave" by different retailers . The car has an "early" design headliner (meaning that the sail panel area is not separate from the main portion of the headliner vs. the "late" having separate hard backed sail panels ) and I also want to buy color matched package tray for the car . The answer may be simple but what I have run into is that descriptions of the colors and applications was not clear in most cases . One last question , are the 2 door and 4 door sedan headliner the same , as the lumped them together in most cases . Thanks and looking forward to some opinions and answers , Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...… how about can someone point me to another site or info page that I might be able to possibly gather this information ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My upholstery guy does a lot of 60’s Chevys and mostly Impalas.. His interiors are absolutely beautiful.. I can ask him what he is using for headliner material.

Also, I would suggest looking for a local automotive upholstery supply shop in your area. This is where the upholsterers go to get their materials and supplies.. They will have swatch books with fabric samples that you can go through..

This is a supplier in my area.
https://www.leosupholsterysupplies.net/

·
13,689 Posts
Is your 4 door a Chevy II 100 series or a Chevy II Nova 400? What is the trim code on your cowl tag? 733 or 735? Or something else? The more info we have the better to try and help you out. Auto fabric suppliers will also need this info to provide the correct product.

The only models with a Bright Blue upholstery option in 1966 were Super Sports. All the rest were just plain blue, but had different cowl tag codes for different models, wagons, etc.

I agree with Dave in the post earlier in this thread. SMS Auto Fabrics is the authority on interiors, at least at the present time. They're located in Canby, Oregon, just south of Salem. If you buy from SMS, don't expect your product delivery to be in weeks. More like months. They are incredibly busy, probably because their interiors are top notch.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies , I've got to get the trim codes off of the tag to determine what color that it calls for . Only problem right now is access to the car to get that info off of it , as it's a ways away from me at a friend's shop . It also has some square back bucket seats out of a El Camino (64-65???) that are a bright blue color and some darker blue aftermarket carpet ! So you can kind of see my dilemma , the car is totally a driver and I don't plan on a complete redo of the interior upholstery , just want to make an informed color choice of a headliner in a hue of blue that would best work with what I already have in there . I figured that a good place to start would be what originally came in the car (which is an early 66 aka no separate sail panels . Thanks again !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts