Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if these are correct numbers for the 1966 327/350 HP L79 engine exhaust manifolds? RH3872738GM & LH3872723GM
Thanks, Tom

· Premium Member
464 Posts
According to Chevy By the Numbers,Yes A.I.R."4 holes but not drilled R/S has A/C boss to mount air compressor. L/S has boss to mount alternator.No heat tube on R/S manifold.Non air cars R/S 3849288,L/S 3790729.No A.I.R bosses.
Good Luck

West of Aurora But in Illinois !

· Premium Member
1,895 Posts
manifolds

3890424..64-67 right side, 3790729..64-67 left side are correct only for Nova. The small thin rear mounting tab located at the firewall side of both manifolds is special only to the Novas. Many truck manifolds were of the same canted head pipe mount, but they have a thicker rear mounting boss.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the numbers that I have shown are not for a 66 L79 nova. But the previous post also show differant cast numbers.

· Registered
18 Posts
When will someone reproduce the 64 to 67 L78, L79 EXHAUST HEADERS? I saw a used set on ebay for the bargain price of $2400!!! I have a 64 SS 283 220hp 4sp and the passenger side exhaust header's front tab is broken off. Can that be welded to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks

· Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Hey, Tom. Love your '64. There are a ton of different kinds of headers out there, so it would depend on what kind you are running. Pictures? Now, if you are running exhaust manifolds and the front tab is broken off, that's a different story. I have seen them welded before and a lot of guys have welded cast iron back to functioning condition, but it's hard to do that and make it look like there hasn't been a repair. Also, the thin nature of the cast iron at that point along with the heat/cooling cycles of the part stress it and may cause a crack again.

Personally, I like that you found an old thread and used the 'search community' tab, but I'm not sure if you mean headers or manifolds. The right side one for your car (if it's a manifold), with 4bbl carburetor and the hole for the heat riser tube for the choke, is the toughest one to find, in my experience. At 25 posts (you already have 15), the site lets you post a classified ad for a part you need. Almost there....

· Registered
18 Posts
Exhaust manifold is what I should have said. There isn't an exhaust leak yet, but I noticed about 6 months ago it was gone. Not really interested in anything but stock appearance, but I'm not spending $1,000 until it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the reply, how's your project coming?

· Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Thanks, Tom. My project? Dead in the water, as life keeps interfering. When you make 25 posts, I suggest you post a classified ad here looking for the manifold. $1K is outrageous in my mind. But I understand with your car being what it is and so original that you'd want just the correct manifold. Someone answers on one for a 2bbl then, it can be fitted exactly as yours is and look completely stock. In the mean time I'll keep my eyes open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts