Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aftermarket radio bezels are plastic. The original in my car is missing. Was the original bezels plastic or metal. Anybody had any luck re-doing a original.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The originals were plastic as well. There used to be a guy that could restore them, but his source of vacuum chrome plating the plastic went away. The repros are pretty good. Now, if someone would just repro the glove box door cover!

·
Vendor
1,728 Posts
The repops are decent when compared to the cost / time of restoring an original. And the originals were not stellar to begin with. A lot of this production line trim had flaws like runs, discoloration and hairline cracks. Uneven paint is almost a given. I have original used ones if you want to go that route.

There were metal bezels made aftermarket back in the 1960s - 70s that came with replacement radios. Hard to find, but they are out there. There was one on eBay recently.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure. I've actually never picked on up or looked at one close. I just know it's one of the items missing on my upcoming build. I do have what looks to be a decent glove box cover but I haven't taken it off yet. My car came out of Texas so I'm hoping it won't be too bad once I start peeling back the layers. I finally found what I thought was a great original hood only to find it had been painted at least four times with primer in between paint. I finally got the paint off to find three small spots that are going to have to be cut out and new metal welded back in.

·
Vendor
1,728 Posts
I have a pile of glove box door covers as well if you need one. Realize most are at least lightly damaged at this point and real nice scarce. There are places that restore them.

Rust is almost a given on these cars after all these years, if they have not had a proper paint job. Three small spots on a hood sounds like a decent hood. Around here hoods on cars that sat outside for years turn into swiss cheese from all the rain. Especially the front lips where moisture catches.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The originals were plastic as well. There used to be a guy that could restore them, but his source of vacuum chrome plating the plastic went away. The repros are pretty good. Now, if someone would just repro the glove box door cover!
Eddie Motorsports just started reproducing billet glove box doors (after I spent 2 weeks making mine) I haven't seen one other than the website but their stuff is usually top notch. price isnt bad at $80,

·
Vendor
1,728 Posts
Eddie Motorsports just started reproducing billet glove box doors (after I spent 2 weeks making mine) I haven't seen one other than the website but their stuff is usually top notch. price isnt bad at $80,
That is a good price on those. Will need to check them out.

OER radio faceplate is nice
Pretty sure they are selling the TWE one, which is the one I carry. Better than 99% of the used ones you are going to find.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I just installed a EMS glove box insert last week. A little over $100, and you have to buy a new glovebox door as well. The original doors that had covers that had big holes in the face of them that the mounting lugs for the door went through, and the EMS insert does not cover the holes. The only thing that will hide the holes is an original style plastic glove box cover. I bought a new, plain door and a EMS insert. It looks good, but does not look like the original. I wish somebody would reproduce the original style door cover. The latch cylinder hole was slightly too low as well, and I had to grind out the hole in the door to match up with the hole in the insert. The insert just attaches to the face of the door with high-strength 2-sided tape.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed a EMS glove box insert last week. A little over $100, and you have to buy a new glovebox door as well. The original doors that had covers that had big holes in the face of them that the mounting lugs for the door went through, and the EMS insert does not cover the holes. The only thing that will hide the holes is an original style plastic glove box cover. I bought a new, plain door and a EMS insert. It looks good, but does not look like the original. I wish somebody would reproduce the original style door cover. The latch cylinder hole was slightly too low as well, and I had to grind out the hole in the door to match up with the hole in the insert. The insert just attaches to the face of the door with high-strength 2-sided tape.
I think we need dash pictures of the Eddie Motorsports

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will take some pictures this weekend and post them, if I can figure out how to attach an image to a post!:unsure:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will take some pictures this weekend and post them, if I can figure out how to attach an image to a post!:unsure:
I use Imgur and it can't be that hard if I can figure out how to do it. I just load it up to Imgur and click where it says it's for forums and it copy and paste.

·
Registered
920 Posts
what year is your car, my 67 original glove box door does not have rounded corners like yours, mine is squared and looks like the ems door.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
The aftermarket radio bezels are plastic. The original in my car is missing. Was the original bezels plastic or metal. Anybody had any luck re-doing a original.
I just got back from picking up some parts for my Chevy II from my friend and L79 guru, Tom Migut, and he has a metal radio bezel. I never saw one before. He explained that it was part of a Motorola radio install package done at the dealership. The Motorola radio does not have CHEVY II cast on the face of the radio, but it can have the push buttons. Also, the repop plastic bezels are reproductions of the 1967 Nova. They are thicker than the 1966 bezel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts