Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the stock 8.2 in the car now, not sure what gears are in it but question A) I was a dumbass and bought wheels in the back to much of an offset so they rub the fenders, fixed with air shocks but I don’t like that fix. So question B) is I have two posi units one for a 7.5 and one for a 8.5, I’m assuming the 8.5 is a better way to go but have never done any rear end swaps. The swap I’m not too worried about is the c clips inside and all that stuff.
So would a rearend out of a s-10 or something drop right in? Those are a dime a dozen up here.
and would it be shorter enough so I don’t need to make wheel adjustments? Which would probably happen don the road anyhow but budget wise not right now.

picture is the car bare bones with a light strap on it. Dang good buys are not always what you think,

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Nice looking car. I'm not sure what you are trying to do but if you are trying to put a 8.5 Posi in a 8.2 rear end I don't think they will interchange.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be doing a entire rearend swap if I outdone find one. That is why I am kinda stuck having a posi for a 7.5 or a 8.5 go smaller or bigger? i have little rear end modification

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
My 68 came with 8.2 with 3:08 gears limited slip. I moved up to the 8.5 with 3:73 gears and positive traction. You pretty much need overdrive with those gears if you are going to do any highway driving. If it was me I wouldn't try to narrow my rear end just so I could get my current wheels to fit especially if there is a chance i would be getting new wheels in the future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did your 8.5 need the spring perches rewelde? I just got a hot lead on a 8.5 From a 65 impala with 3.55 new posi and new axles

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The only axles that are a direct fit for 62-67 Nova’s are the 8.2 10 bolt.. Anything else will need modifications to fit and work. Later F/X body axles are wider and the leaf spring percnes are not located correctly for a 62-67 Nova.

I would find the correct wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im doing a 01 blazer rear end swap on my 64 nova, its an 8.5 no posi with 30 spline axles with disc brakes. I relocated my front spring perches so they can line up if not they will be toe'd out on the front. I also had to cut off the lead spring perches on differential being that they did not line up with the leaf springs so i had to relocate those. It did bring the wheel in closer to the frame rail. I have not finished it so cant say more than that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh id also like to add that mine is an 8.6 not 8.5 but parts interchange also the 8.5/8.6 is much stronger than the 8.2 i cant speak on the 7.5. Some people do the 8.8 off the ford explorer. But too many mods for me, and i wanted to keep it all chevy.

·
6,281 Posts
Why not keep the 8.2 and get different wheels to fit the rear end you have. Upgrade the 8.2 if you want to add posi and/or different gears. I don't see front fenders on it so you may have an offset problem there too.You will take a bit of a hit selling yours but a more simple approach.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Did your 8.5 need the spring perches rewelde? I just got a hot lead on a 8.5 From a 65 impala with 3.55 new posi and new axles
1965 Impala is an 8.2, not an 8.5. It wall also be about 5" too wide.

There are no simple bolt in upgrades rears for your body style, everything you find will need some kind of modification involving cutting and rewelding.
Don't even bother with anything 7.5", it is just too weak unless you never plan to spin a tire. Doesn't make sense to do all the rework and spend the dollars to swap rears to something weaker than what you already have, just because the width might be right to fit a wheel you already have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading today that’s probably what I’m going to do, we have a swap meet coming up just try to off the 7.5 and 8.5 posi diffs I have and buy the one I need. Makes sense and I’d prefer to do it that way anyhow because I already know the drivetrain I am putting in works with the 8.2. I guess I was just wishing for some miracle fix for being young and dumb haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plus like I said I don’t have much background in rebuilding rearend s but no better time to learn

·
Registered
380 Posts
So.....I'm confused. Are you saying you're selling the 7.5 and 8.5 posi units, keeping the 8.2 rear, buying a posi for an 8.2 and new properly backspaced wheels or... swapping-out the complete rear end for a 12 bolt or 9 ", etc with the (hopefully) right width?

I agree with Joe and Shane. Buy new wheels with the proper backspacing and maybe drop in a 8.2 posi if you think you need it.You can have a pro install the posi reasonably if you're not 'comfortable' with the work (As you said,"The swap I’m not too worried about its the c clips inside and all that stuff.") It's all "that stuff" that has to be installed right the first time or it'll bite you hard.

If you do decide to stay with the 8.2 and you want a posi, I'd highly recommend (with your money) invest in new axles (up the spline count) and purchase the Ring & Pinion/Posi to match. Buy quality components i.e. Yukon, Strange, Moser, etc) and you won't be sorry. The properly upgraded 8.2 will handle the 400 SBC if you stay under 400-450 horse and don't drag with slicks.

Less initial cost overall (if you spend time to shop for the wheels) and you're not in over your head before you upgrade the rear end.
All my opinion but from my own experience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taco caster it’s just as you said buying proper 8.2 posi and buying proper wheels before I get ahead of myself lol. I was trying to fix and issue with parts that I don’t have a rearend to and not just making sense and using what I have in the car already, no rearend change

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Zman.
We all (well, some of us) know what it's like when the path forward is not necessarily clear and there's never a concern about keeping a fat wallet in your hip pocket (source of future back problems).

Sell the wheels! (y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I look at it this way in Zman/ohio's case:

He's going to buy a posi unit, gears, all the bearings and seals, then pay someone to narrow the housing and then buy a set of axle shafts for it to do the stock 8.2".

For just a couple hundred more he could go to a salvage yard and get a better core axle like the 8.5/8.6" 10-bolt or a 8.8" Ford and do all that same stuff to it and end up with a more bulletproof finished product that doesn't have such a low peak power threshold.
If he searches and chooses well, he could get a posi and decent ratio gears in the donor housing and end up way ahead of the game on cost.....especially since he could start with the common 8.6 10 bolt from a full size 1/2 ton truck/van or 8.8" Ford from an Explorer and cut it down and those are frequently geared with 3.42 or 3.73 gearing.
Another plus is being able to set the rear end width narrower than the stock housing, makes wheel choices much easier....or allow you to stay with what wheel you already have thus saving you another expense.

I consider doing all that work to the 8.2" as money not intelligently spent

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can agree with that too ericnova, but it’s never going to be a drag car, and my cousin is certified tech so he’s done several rearends lately and he is more up to date with rebuilding them so problem solved there. I’m not in love with the wheels, they were a good buy so my feelings aren’t hurt. If I was planning on turning out a bunch more horsepower then yea upgrade would be needed but driving on the road probably not.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You’ll be fine with the 8.2.. If you didn’t already have it and needed to find an axle then going to a different axle would make sense.. If you’re going to be running a Muncie or some other non overdrive transmission then you might want to keep your differential gear ratios down.. Having 3.08s in the differential at hiway speeds will be tolerable. 3.42 and above might not be so much fun or fuel efficient..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just a cruizer I can understand the direction you want to take with keeping the 8.2. I think the low-to-middle threes ratio for the 8.2 was a 3.36 IIRC, it wouldn't be too bad on rpm if you stay with 15" wheels....I ran a 3.23 for several years in the 8.5" in my '72 and it was a nice cruise gear that would still have a little rip when you jumped on it. 4-speed too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s what I like to hear! I knew I was going to have to go with lower gear, so that I didn’t rev myself out at 55. When I had the Muncie in before I can remember it winding out pretty easy, I looked at stock gears in there at one point but I forget what they are.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts