Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a complete cbr disc brake kit for front and back of my 65 coup. Digging into the project I found that I would need to drill out my steering arms to 1/2 inch so that it would fit the caliper brackets. The bolt holes on the spindle were easy enough. 10 minutes per side with a carbide bit, and all done. The problem I'm having is with drilling out the steering arm bolt holes. 4 hrs later, 2 busted drill bits (no drill press) and I'm considering just buying new arms with larger holes.

My question is; does that sound like a good idea? Any pointers on where to order / part numbers? I thought about a machine shop too, wasn't sure if the cost difference was worth it. Defenitely cheaper than buying a drill press. New arms seem to be ~ 99$

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm hoping / wondering if what I want are the 1967 arms. They appear to already have the 1/2 in. bolt holes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whelp, I put an order in. I should have them in a day or two. I'll post back when I get an update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More troubles today. I got the drivers side all assembled and went to bolt up the caliper bracket on the passenger side. The allen head bolt went in 2/3 of the way and started binding up. I ran a chase through it to clean out the threads and no luck. I nearly snapped the bolt, but finally backed the bolt out and I'm dreading the possibility that I need a new spindle.

Its acting like the bolt is too long or that there is an obstruction in the bolt socket of the spindle. I've eyeballed it and don't see anything. Pre-cleanned with wd-40 and brake cleaner. Thinking the threads are shot in the spindle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried measuring before and thought I was good, but I just counted the threads in the hole and you might be right. The spindle bolt hole (boss) only loops around 12 times. The bolt I have is more like 16 loops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another chapter closed in the disc brake installation on the 1965. After trimming the threads off the spindle bolt I got everything put together.

I purchased a complete set of replacement brake lines to compliment the disc brake conversion, so next I will be swapping that out as I replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Wilwood master cylinder installed with my son today. Learning as we go. I have the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, but now I have 2 new questions. 1.) Does the Wilwood adjustable proportioning block include the 2lbs residual pressure valve needed for a disc/disc setup? 2.) My old system was a single resevoir master cylinder. Where do I get new bulkhead fittings to pass lines through the frame.
Old:
20200719_103805.jpg

Out:
20200719_114931.jpg

New
20200719_152016.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edit: to answer my own questions:
1.) Do I need a residual valve with my disc/disc setup? No. Disc / drum needs a 10 lbs one. And disc/disc with a master cylinder mounted below the calipers needs a 2 lbs one. I have neither of these.
2.) Factory bulkhead fittings can have additional holes blocked off with bolts from the rsd brake line kit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the front and rear disc conversion kit from CBR. Chuck walked me through everything. The cool thing is that he helped me customize my order. Added a Wilwood master cylinder and proportioning valve. Shortly afterward I added on a complete brake line kit from Right Stuff Detailing via Summit racing. I lucked out there, because I've stripped out lines and needed bolts etc... as I go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts