Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I suck at posting stuff because I don't like computers, but here we are. I've been in the process of tearing down my 65 nova and putting it back together. Here's everything thats been going on since August of last year.
Bought the car pretty much in stock form. It ran fine with just some minor oil leaks here and there. Got the whole CBR front end with the subframe. Went with a 383 stroker built by White Racing out of Tennessee. Matched it with a 700r4 with a 3000 stall converter. Went with a fully built Ford 9" with 3.90 gears. I ripped out all the wires and putting in all new ones. I'm still taking everything apart right now. I work on it when I have time off and since I'm a cheap a$$ I'm doing everything I can do myself. I'm to the point though that I'm about ready for all the body work to get done (that I cant do myself). More to follow. I promise to do a better job at posting stuff because for one, I want to show everybody whats going on so if you have questions I can answer them. And two, I am open to any and all comments and criticisms on how to do something better/different then how I'm doing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
I look forward to watching and reading about your build. You really are doing this up right from what your drive train selection was. I am like you and try to do all I can to save money, but I've hired out some upholstery work and now body work. There are some highly talented people on this site that will answer any questions you throw out there, so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck fellow 65 Nova enthusiast!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I look forward to watching and reading about your build. You really are doing this up right from what your drive train selection was. I am like you and try to do all I can to save money, but I've hired out some upholstery work and now body work. There are some highly talented people on this site that will answer any questions you throw out there, so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck fellow 65 Nova enthusiast!!
I appreciate the encouragement. And don't worry, the questions will come.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question to all those that have swapped their front ends out. I have the CBR subframe coming in the mail this week. As you can see in the picture, I cut out my front radiator clip. It maybe a little too late to ask now, but can I reuse it on the CBR frame or will it not work without alot of time and effort? Here's another picture of how the inside is coming along.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did a different brand, and it required reusing it. I'm sure there's a lot of guys here that used CBR. They'll probably respond later after work.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Honestly, I think you’re the first one I’ve seen here doing the CBR clip.. Most clips require using the core support. I can’t tell where you cut yours.. It looks to be intact in your picture..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I think you’re the first one I’ve seen here doing the CBR clip.. Most clips require using the core support. I can’t tell where you cut yours.. It looks to be intact in your picture..
I cut right at that cross bar support on the right and left sides behind the front support. It doesn't have a single spot of rust on it so if I can reuse it with just a little cutting and welding then I'm going for it. I should be able to tell if it will work when I get the CBR frame this week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cut right at that cross bar support on the right and left sides behind the front support. It doesn't have a single spot of rust on it so if I can reuse it with just a little cutting and welding then I'm going for it. I should be able to tell if it will work when I get the CBR frame this week.
Nice looking 65! I'm like you not very good at posts. But i just finished a 5 year build on my 65. I also did the majority of the work myself. Just like Bobs 65 not the paint/body or the upholstery.
But pretty much everything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful car. Something about the 65 just looks the best to me. Here is a pic of my "chunk" i got the other day. Now waiting on the housing to get here so I can put it all together. Any pointers for putting together a ford 9" that I have to watch out for? It looks pretty straight forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
wish I could help you, But I didn't do the ford 9" I did the Detroit speed mini tub. Posi, with 373 gears. on the original rear end.Grabs great!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also got my rear end going together. I ran into a problem with the bearing plates because of the custom build but I'm getting a fix for it. And dont mind the feet, I like to barefoot sometimes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You didn't leave any silicone sealant in that tube did you?
It was a war on sealant that day. Everything I read up on putting a 9in together said make damn sure you really seal the center chunk. I may have gone a little overboard. At least I didnt use a gasket AND sealant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Putting the front end together. Full CBR setup. I will say that Chuck has been a HUGE help in all of this. What a great guy. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so he texted me a picture of a piece I was looking for to put on next. I mean who does that. But anyways, Everything is going together like butter. I think I'm going to have to drop the engine in to connect the sway bar. It just doesn't seem to have enough room right now. It keeps hitting the coilover. If anyone has another idea of how to attach the sway bar, I'm all ears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts