Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which 65 Nova's came with the air cooled transmission and which one's with the water cooled? Someone told me that all 65's had air cooled but both of my 65's are water cooled. Could someone please explain. Thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
Assembly manual shows both

My 65 SS with the 194 and PG had the air cooled also. The assembly manual for 65 shows both. Don't know if it was a later model thing or just that they used the water cooled versions on the 230's and V-8's. Might be a heavy duty radiator variation also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Greg McMillan said:
My 65 SS with the 194 and PG had the air cooled also. The assembly manual for 65 shows both. Don't know if it was a later model thing or just that they used the water cooled versions on the 230's and V-8's. Might be a heavy duty radiator variation also.
I would tend to support what Greg is saying as correct, that is the 4s & 194 sixes used the air-cooled Powerglide while possibly the 230 six, V8s, plus h.d. rad versions all used the water-cooled Powerglide. I know that the 250s of '67 used water-cooled, at least on my Chevelle it is, while the base 230 Chevelle was air-cooled.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
My '65 194 ci had a water cooled. Car was sold new in GA, and was built late in the model year (May '65).

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK by water cooled u mean trans cooler in radiator and by air cooled do you mean no trans cooler at all, because my 63 ss has no cooler that I can see. The engine is not original(250 out of 69 nova) but I think the trans is how can I tell(I do know it is a PG)? The trans look like it has cooler line port but they are blocked off and the radiator has cooler ports too and they are blocked off. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts