Chevy Nova Forum banner

Would you buy a '65 grill emblem if they become available?

• YES:

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • MAYBE LATER:

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally deleted the previous poll while trying to edit it so I'm re-posting it and starting over. There were 7 guys that had responded "Yes" so can you respond with a "yes" again so we can continue.

My main reason for the poll is to see how many are interested in buying the grill emblem and to encourage everyone to go and order one so OER will know there really is an interest in having them manufactured.

I do not work for OER, Classic Industries or any other company that may sell these emblems in the future. I just want one. :yes:

See the link for the specs.

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/all-years/chevrolet/chevyiinova/parts/?q=3863613

Sam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Sam,
I already have the new re-popped grill for my 65, and ordered the new front emblem from Classic Industries on 9/12/2018

Let's see how long it takes to get one...

I'm hoping that enough people will help out by placing orders to get this ball rolling!

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a "Johnny come lately" with buying the grill but I have one now thanks to you and the others that ordered in advance of the production. I'm now one of those that jumped on board to try and influence OER to make the grill emblems.

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
The emblem is on "long-term back order with no ETA" which in OER parlance usually indicates it is either 1) in the initial manufacturing stages or 2) they are gauging interest to see if it is worth making. Either way I would expect probably a year or two.

They are labeling it an OER part which normally means they are making it or have full rights to it, so that would diminish hope of it popping up with another supplier. They have upped their game though with getting parts to market, so probably a pretty good chance this will happen.

The description says "Manufactured with injection molded process...". Likely a typo, but would be interesting if this was a plastic version like the rear emblem. Might be easier to make that way.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,690 Posts
I can un-delete your old thread if you want me to?

I probably wouldn't buy a plastic one, but would if it was metal. I realize that would put the cost way up, but I'm not sold on how the plastic would look.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I guess there's only one way to find out, especially if it's the only game in town...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I actually saw the grill emblem advertised but out of stock so I called OER a few weeks ago and they told me there wasn't a date yet on when it would be available. I need one to finish my 65. It is one of the items that was missing when I built my car. I'm down to the small items and would like a good grill emblem to finish my car.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Molded plastic is an easy product to produce. That is why you see so much of it in every store you go into. I'm sure OER is doing like they did with the grills and waiting to see if there is an actual market for the emblem before they spend money on the production. I'm with Steve G. that if it's the only game in town then it's up to us to order in advance of the production to help OER make the decision to have them made. If you do order one, please do a YES in the poll.

They are rather costly but because of the lead time to have them made, you could do like me and put $10 a month in a jar and you'd have enough to put on your credit card when it is finally charged for an emblem. :yes:

·
Super Moderator
4,103 Posts
I'd buy one, even though I don't own a '65, but my brother does.

I can kind of see the advance order thing on grilles as to the cost of production. A grille is not an easy thing to make, or cheap.

But the '65 grille emblem? Small part, one accurate die, a second process to fold it into shape in the back after it's stamped, then paint. It has all the aluminum of a beer can. This can't be that expensive to get a few prototypes out in the world if you are a company this size. So I can see prepaying on the grilles, but not this emblem.

Wouldn't touch it if it were plastic. I'd run a beat, cracked and road rock chipped one first.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know how you feel about high priced plastic items. My thinking was that they have already produced the rear emblem so the front emblem wouldn't be that much of a challenge. As for the fold in the back for the clips, they could design that so the emblem could be secured with screws and lock washers instead of clips and nuts.

Business is business so if there is no incentive to produce the emblems ($$) then it won't happen. Pre-orders are a sure fire way of knowing how many they will sell up front to justify the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts