Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1965 nova is the steering shaft integrated with the gear box? Someone cut the steering shaft on mine and I can't figure out how it connects to the gearbox. The gear box output shaft has splines so does it use some sort of rag joint? Its manual steering car. Please help I can't seem to find any decent pics online anywhere.Thanks

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Yes it is integrated. No rag joint in your year. If you are trying to go stock you will need a box or shaft. Replacing the whole box is easiest route.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
We’re going to need some pictures of what you have on this one. 62-66 have the same steering box and column arrangement with the steering shaft being part of the box. 67 has a separated column and steering box with a coupling of some sort joining the two. Also, there also some aftermarket steering boxes that are divorced as well..
On a 1965 nova is the steering shaft integrated with the gear box? Someone cut the steering shaft on mine and I can't figure out how it connects to the gearbox. The gear box output shaft has splines so does it use some sort of rag joint? Its manual steering car. Please help I can't seem to find any decent pics online anywhere.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,662 Posts
Sounds like you may have a later gearbox. If the splines on the shaft are relatively close to the box (6 inches or less), that's not a stock box for a '62-'66. Stock gearboxes are pretty plentiful as many have been ditched to go with different steering systems. You might want to check that someone hasn't changed the original steering tube (column) inside the car from what a '65 came with.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you decide to buy a new one, GM Classics sells both the stock gearbox and a quick ratio box. As stated above, it's pretty easy to find newer box since many people have converted to other systems. I bought one with about 50 miles on it off Ebay a few years back for $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts