Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I have another question. I am going to take the 283 out of the car and replace it with a 350 out of a automatic 1979 Chevrolet C20 Van with only 15K miles on it since I rebuilt it. The machine shop says my Nova flywheel is beyond hope due to rust pitting on the face so I'm going to have to buy something to replace it. I need your advice.

Where can I buy a flywheel for the '65 and would like advice on a street driver, no racing, clutch assy. If someone has a flywheel I will accept a PM.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
rust pitting shouldn't really hurt it too bad on a stock/street application.
i'd possibly have it resurfaced anyways and use it.

of course i'm not seeing it... only reading about it.

make sure if it's swapped you stay with the 153 tooth unit.
the 168 plays havoc with exhaust & starters...

are you using all the ChevyII clutch components? bell housing, z bar, linkage etc?

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
rust pitting shouldn't really hurt it too bad on a stock/street application.
i'd possibly have it resurfaced anyways and use it.

of course i'm not seeing it... only reading about it.

make sure if it's swapped you stay with the 153 tooth unit.
the 168 plays havoc with exhaust & starters...

are you using all the ChevyII clutch components? bell housing, z bar, linkage etc?
Now that you've offered that info, I'm going to take the flywheel to another shop and see what they have to say after cleaning it up some. There is suppose to be a product that will chemically remove rust but haven't found out what it is yet. The flywheel is really rusty sitting under a '64 Nova wagon donor for who knows how many years. I got all the clutch stuff off that donor car and have ordered new bushings, etc. and a block conversion bracket.

I was interested as to whether the original flywheel would be totally compatible with the 350 crankshaft mounting and not cause any balance problems and also mate to the 350 starter. Here is a photo of what it looks like.

http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Soapboxsam/?action=view&current=Picture029.jpg

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, it'll bolt to any 1st gen 265, 283, 302, 307, 350.

a new ring gear can also be installed. they're rather inexpensive. looking at the image it's hard to tell the condition but i'd say for NON RACE applications you'll be just fine...

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the flywheel back from the shop to get the rust off, degreasing and face work. When I got it home, the thought occurred to me to measure the clutch disk face on the flywheel and it measures 9.5" across. I was looking at installing a 10.4" Zoom kit before I did the measurements. I can't find a clutch kit that says it is made for a 9.5" flywheel. Am I measuring the flywheel disk face incorrectly or are my assumptions wrong on the Zoom kit being to large?

I have been looking at new flywheels and they do not give measurements of the disk face, all they say is they are direct replacements for the '65 Nova V8. Sure was hoping to use this flywheel on the 350ci to save a few $$s. Hope someone can shed some light on this subject. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts