Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I always have little parts laying around from other unrelated projects... so decided to make my own center brace support...

just cut some 1/8" thick scrap into little tabs.. for the top and bottom of the support

the odd shape allows it to fit around the raised portion on the bottom of the filler panel

the nut on the core support is sunk in a little, so used a little shim (left over from the rear brakes) to allow the lower tab to sit flat

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
fits like this.. similar to the original, being that it is slightly offset and more in line with the grilles center brace/bracket... can adjust/add a little preload too, not that it needs it... could have prob made something simpler... but this is pretty simple and fits into the project (matches the larger ones in the background, though it wont be seen anyway)...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Those light assemblies take a lot of messing with to figure out and adjust. Based on your mechanical abilities, you'll have no problem. Keep showing o wing pictures of your progress, looks great. A lathe operator, you a machinist?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Those light assemblies take a lot of messing with to figure out and adjust. Based on your mechanical abilities, you'll have no problem. Keep showing o wing pictures of your progress, looks great. A lathe operator, you a machinist?
thanks.... I wouldnt call myself a machinist... though i have made a ton of parts and do use it quite a bit... i do have an 8.5x20 size machine and upgraded it a little... i bought a new mill while back also and all components to convert to cnc... its been sitting for years untouched... will put tht to use shortly... ive self taught/learned different skills throughout the years as ive progressed through misc projects...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can relate to that. I'm a boilermaker with a strong welding/fab background. I also have a small vertical mill. If I had the room I'd have a 10×36 or so lathe. What do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can relate to that. I'm a boilermaker with a strong welding/fab background. I also have a small vertical mill. If I had the room I'd have a 10×36 or so lathe. What do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?
im not working... have been retired for the past 8 years or so. (though i was fairly young... medically retired)... then unable to find additional work in the traditional sense, due to misc. "complications" from an intense and long "battle" with cancer... I turn to these things to sort of vent... i try to find a positive perspective when i can... even though life can be complicated, its still complicated life and not death...

·
Registered
313 Posts
im not working... have been retired for the past 8 years or so. (though i was fairly young... medically retired)... then unable to find additional work in the traditional sense, due to misc. "complications" from an intense and long "battle" with cancer... I turn to these things to sort of vent... i try to find a positive perspective when i can... even though life can be complicated, its still complicated life and not death...
Well friend, you certainly have a good outlook and attitude. Sorry to hear of your medical problems. Cars can be good therapy! Keep up the good work. Glad you're here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am from Australia, I also have a 65 Nova, I have been getting some of the little hard to get brackets from Adam @ Northwest Nova. Very Helpful. Have been messing with getting my grill/mudbuckets etc all fixed up. Have fitted some JTX LED headlights, where I had to slightly modify the light buckets to fit them in. JTX Lighting

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Waiting on the new outer trim rings to show up and some misc parts (new adjuster kit, billet piece that replaces the broken plastic retainer for the outer trim, etc.)... may also pick up used headlight assemblies from another member (waiting on a reply)... but in the meantime... continuing with what i have...

cleaned up two of the headlight buckets i already have... decided to try the SEM Trim black for some of this stuff, based on Showdog75's mentioning it... actually like it...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
also... i order a lot of parts through my bro, Mel.. 80zPerformance (out of AZ)... I did not want to "afford" the lights I really wanted... and I ordered what I could "afford"... I felt like I just needed lights for now, so that i could continue to fit things etc... what I ordered didnt show up... instead, these did (LED-Seven, black housing, HDR switchback Halo)...

these were pretty much what I wanted and prob would have never purchased them, as im trying to be mindful of my budget... he just applied what I paid him toward these... not simply with things like this, but he definitely helps keep me motivated...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
had to modify the buckets and lights a bit to get them to fit
my lights are Dapper Lighting LED Sevens... They are designed differently than those. may not have to cut... but once i get the parts to put the assemblies together... ill know for sure or do whatever is necessary for them to fit... dapper lighting has lighting designed to work with classic cars in mind (like the OE Sevens)... but in some cases, as with many different aftermarket lighting options, you do have to modify the buckets

21 - 37 of 37 Posts