Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to post in the wanted section for some parts, but need to know for sure if I need to do that, or if what i have is just missing pieces that can be purchased aftermarket... I know the adj screws etc can... or maybe someone has NOS assemblies for a good price... not sure...

I have the Headlamp Mud Buckets (though one is a 65 and one another year, in the pics... i do have the correct original LH and RH 65 Buckets, which have the extra hole on top)...

I also have the correct 65 housings... also painted them black

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i am also missing brackets that go from the bumper filler to the bottom of the housings...

wanted to make sure, i couldnt just buy the plastic nuts, hardware, retaining rings, outer trim ring and an adjuster kit (with the springs)... and that would be all i needed... or if i need different light buckets also... the aftermarket buckets available make it seem like the ones i have would work... but the 65 housings i have are def different than what appears to be a 62 housing

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will also need the round chrome bezel. Go to page 128 of this assembly manual. It also shows the little brackets that attach to the filler that a screw goes through to attach the bottom of eyebrow and grill with the same screw. These 65's are very tough to align all these pieces.
thank you... i was just looking through the assembly manual... trying to figure out what part numbers (nuts, bolts, plastic nuts, etc.) to grab (replacement part wise)... and what goes where... along with the little brackets from the filler to headlight... not sure if those are reproduced... im missing the clip nuts that were on the mud buckets also... and all the hardware... trying to figure out and source all the hardware...

i did find the reproduced round bezels you mentioned... i found the headlamp adj. pieces along with some plastic nuts... need to figure out the metal clips and misc hardware...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Those clip nuts are available at many hardware store. We have a big Ace Hardware store that has many if these little things. Those little brackets are nothing special and could be fabricated pretty easily if needed, they're not much more than a L bracket. I bet if you put a request for those in the classified wanted section someone would have them for you.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the drivers side mud/bucket soaking in solution to treat rust, so that i could prep it for paint... i typically put rusty parts in solution with any hardware (sometimes it helps, if the hardware is seized... forgot that i had done this)... took them out of solution, today... noticed that bucket had the j clips and a one of the bolts to the larger j clip (that bolts the bucket to the fender).. so that helps... i can use them to match new j clips and bolts at the hardware store...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
two small j clips, that install in the mud bucket before installing in the fender, it looks like (according to the manual), the bezel screws to them go though the main outer trim, through the headlight assembly, through the fender and bolt it all together to the mud bucket...

the larger j clips, with the larger hex nut screw (based on its dimensions, appears to be a #14, 3/8" head 3/4" long... could porb just use a 1/4-20 j nut and hardware here, if cant find jnut for it), attach the fender to the mud bucket...

smaller j clips- original gm part number 3735400
smaller "screws"- 3725168 (lower headlight assembly screw, through outer trim) and 9422102 (top headlight assembly screw through outer trim)
larger j clips- 3849974
larger "screws"
(like one in pic)- 9419400

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now need to figure out the nylon nuts (original part number 3788345)... that go into the headlight assemblies (to attach the outer trim ring to the assm.) and the ones that go into the fender filler brackets to attach the fender bezels

and find or make the fender filler brackets 3876593

I did notice that on my headlight assembly buckets there are no extra holes on the bottom, where it would attach to the fender filler bracket... there is one square hole and this would be where the vertical adjustment nut/screw attaches

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did run by a hardware store and could prob make these work... had to shave the long leg of the #14 nut down, but if i cant find some closer copies to the originals, then ill make em work...

also on the two brackets on the headlight bucket, that the outer trim ring attaches to, they do not look like they use the nylon nuts (that are shown in the manual)... they look like they accept the machine screws directly...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the filler panel to outer/grille bezel brackets look similar to this, as pictured in the manual...

but i believe the ones, i would use with these buckets look like this (though i could just cut the longer one or possibly add the hole to the buckets for it, depending on how they would line up..

while at it, i also need to find the center grille support bracket, that goes under the filler panel and bolts to the core support... i believe looks like this... so ill post in the wanted section, and look online for the remaining parts...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've had good luck in the last few years on here with finding parts for my 63 which had a 62 grille. I have also had good luck at Lowe's and Elder's Ace Hardware. My car isn't perfect but I can't half ass this little stuff. It looks like we're in about the same boat except different years and year specific parts. I've definitely wire brushed and glass beaded a bunch of this little stuff and shot it with a fresh coat of SEM trim black paint. Your project looks great.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've had good luck in the last few years on here with finding parts for my 63 which had a 62 grille. I have also had good luck at Lowe's and Elder's Ace Hardware. My car isn't perfect but I can't half ass this little stuff. It looks like we're in about the same boat except different years and year specific parts. I've definitely wire brushed and glass beaded a bunch of this little stuff and shot it with a fresh coat of SEM trim black paint. Your project looks great.
thank you... your wagon is awesome/BTW... i agree... i like the SEM products also (and a couple others), when using a spray can... great quality... head lights will show up hopefully this week... just trying to get everything test fit/modified etc. and together... then at some point down the line, would have to tear the whole project apart and focus a little better on some of the little things i would do (or someone can buy it, if i sell it and do that part...if they want it to be "better").. im more concerned about function at this point.. and getting everything together and working (figuring out what i need, etc)...

so i can move forward toward turbo fab work

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
figured I should probably try to fit up the grille and filler... to make sure all that somewhat matches up to the headlight assemblies etc... Took a little bit, but got it on there decent for now... dont mind the orange hood latch.. someone painted it orange (before i got it)... fits in perfect for test fitting (will be painted later)...

had to align/mark/drill three holes into the filler that were not there... no biggie... got that done

1 - 20 of 36 Posts