Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hi Scott,
I was hoping to get a response from novakid65 to see if these acorn nuts are what he needs for his car and how many he needs. I am sure that I will have enough left for you. I may even make a run down to National City to my favorite automotive molding clips and other trim pieces to see if they carry these acorn nuts. Never hurts to have 15 or 20 of them in my parts bin for future requests. :)

Thanks,
Chuck
Hi Scott,
Just answered Dan's (novakid65) PM so I can sell you three of these acorn nuts with washers for your car. Please send me an email to [email protected],net and be sure to include your full name and mailing address.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hey Chuck, FYI.... those nuts I got from you are actually for side trim or emblems and such. The holes in them are too small for the threaded studs of the glove box hinge. They do fit my Chevy II 100 emblems perfectly and cut the threads on the emblem stud when I install them. They do match the glove box nuts overall except for the stud size they accept. I'm putting them to another use so still in need of one glove box hinge nut and conical metal washer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hey Chuck, FYI.... those nuts I got from you are actually for side trim or emblems and such. The holes in them are too small for the threaded studs of the glove box hinge. They do fit my Chevy II 100 emblems perfectly and cut the threads on the emblem stud when I install them. They do match the glove box nuts overall except for the stud size they accept. I'm putting them to another use so still in need of one glove box hinge nut and conical metal washer.
those nuts work with the washers from my earlier post. be sure not to over-tighten or they will strip--if you do, just add another (thin) washer.

the actual oversized, self-tapping acorn nuts from factory are like hen's teeth.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
What I need is the size of the studs these acorn nuts attach to. There is a shop here in San Diego that sells also of parts for old cars. I can take one of the acorn nuts I still have and have the Shop see what other size acorn nuts they have in stock. I think I may have a 64 or 65 Nova glove box door. Are the studs attached to the door.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What I need is the size of the studs these acorn nuts attach to. There is a shop here in San Diego that sells also of parts for old cars. I can take one of the acorn nuts I still have and have the Shop see what other size acorn nuts they have in stock. I think I may have a 64 or 65 Nova glove box door. Are the studs attached to the door.

Thanks,
Chuck
my guess is the stud size is fine, the mystery is the outside diameter of the large acorn nuts. the common acorn nut for emblems fits the stud, but the outside diameter is too small and allows it to passes through the dash hole--hence my use of the washer.

the studs are attached to the hinge mechanism, which is attached to the door with at least three phillips head screws.

my swap meet glove box doors did not have them. guess no one realized how unique they were at the time.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,673 Posts
Here is what I came up with from measuring the nut and washer that came off of my hinge. The nut appears to be 5/16" tall,
3/8" wide and -24 threads. The 3 studs are attached to the hinge on my '65. The washer is 5/8" wide and the center hole is 1/4".
The washer is beveled like it is was meant to be a spring type but it is rather thick and I couldn't press it down with my fingers.
The hole is larger than the threaded stud it goes on. There is a number stamped on the washer which looks like a "3"
or an "8". If anyone comes up with any original nuts or washers I'm also in the market for both as I'm missing one set thanks to
the body guy that took them off and lost a set. They are probably on his car right now. Hope this helps. Sam
STUD -24.JPG

NUT TOP VIEW 1.jpg

NUT TOP VIEW 2.JPG

NUT 1.jpg

NUT  AND STUD 1.JPG

BEVELED WASHER.JPG

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Here is what I came up with from measuring the nut and washer that came off of my hinge. The nut appears to be 5/16" tall,
3/8" wide and -24 threads. The 3 studs are attached to the hinge on my '65. The washer is 5/8" wide and the center hole is 1/4".
The washer is beveled like it is was meant to be a spring type but it is rather thick and I couldn't press it down with my fingers.
The hole is larger than the threaded stud it goes on. There is a number stamped on the washer which looks like a "3"
or an "8". If anyone comes up with any original nuts or washers I'm also in the market for both as I'm missing one set thanks to
the body guy that took them off and lost a set. They are probably on his car right now. Hope this helps. Sam
View attachment 420528

View attachment 420529

View attachment 420530

View attachment 420532

View attachment 420533

View attachment 420534
I am going to take these pictures and measurements down to a Shop in National City (suburb of San Diego) that deals only in automotive fasteners for every year, make and model American car and see what I come up with. Sam, please send me you phone number so I can have a conversation with you about these acorn nuts. Who knew 30 years ago when I was always parting out 62-67 Nova's that someday there would be a need for saving nuts and bolts for these cars? :)

Thanks,
Chuck

21 - 30 of 30 Posts