Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Front license plate frame is from F H Dailey Chevrolet in San Leandro, just outside of Oakland. That dealership is literally over 100 years old and still going strong.
Still has the (real) Ca black plates. Quite possibly an unmolested, long-term local Bay Area car. A little more investigation could be interesting.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
so the 283 was built in flint 3rd. week of sept. an car built at fisher 4th. week of sept. i'm not sure if they stamped the vin # on yet in 64.

·
Super Moderator
3,408 Posts
Sure enough, 4th week September (09D). Looks to be the engine original to the car. Would be interesting to know if the engine were a 721 or 194 casting. Was the car a good runner and driver, and mechanically sound?

·
13,077 Posts
so the 283 was built in flint 3rd. week of sept. an car built at fisher 4th. week of sept. i'm not sure if they stamped the vin # on yet in 64.
There was no real requirement to stamp partial VINs until 1968, with the exception of Corvettes, which had them in the early 60's. Before 1968, stamping engines with partial VINs was inconsistent. It was generally considered that only cars of 300 HP or more would have them, but even that didn't always happen. I have never seen a Canadian built 1966 L79 Chevy II with a partial engine VIN. It's unlikely a 1965 Chevy II with a 195 HP V/8 would have a VIN stamped engine.

I would bet this car has a 194 engine casting. My understanding is 721 was the primary block for 283 1964 Chevy IIs, but used mostly for 327 applications in 1965.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sure enough, 4th week September (09D). Looks to be the engine original to the car. Would be interesting to know if the engine were a 721 or 194 casting. Was the car a good runner and driver, and mechanically sound?
It ran fairly well. A little hesitant on the accelerator and the water pump was a bit noisy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts