Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,414 Posts
No. Can't see it clearly enough other than to say it looks like someone removed any paint from it. That does happen. Looks like an interesting car with factory V-8, but there might be a couple of body issues at the driver's door, and the asking seems a bit high.

·
Super Moderator
3,414 Posts
Actually, does look like a 283, but so much is interchangeable on small block Chevys it could easily be something else. Have to look at the numbers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm going to take a look tomorrow. Yeah, asking price is definitely too high.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for info, when this car was on eBay, it got one $10,000 bid. Listing ended March 23.

Bob
I saw it on EBay and the seller never responded to questions. I talked to him on the phone yesterday and he seems legit. Is there any way for me to confirm whether the engine is numbers matching? Where are the typical rust spots on these? Trunk and floors? Thanks, Gil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, is there an easy check for whether it’s a 283? On eBay he had it listed as a 350 but here he says 283?

·
Super Moderator
3,414 Posts
Yes. Check the engine casting number, a 7 digit number cast into the block. It's hard to read when the engine is installed, as it faces up on the block, but is at the rear behind the distributor. On the side of what would be a Nova block, the last 3 numbers will be cast into the block, likely either '721' or '194'. Also, check all the numbers and letters stamped into the pad at the very passenger side front of the block where the head mates to the block deck surface. That should tell you what it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't get a look at the block numbers. Here are the cowl tag and vin tag. It seemed like a pretty solid car. Don't think it is the original engine and there were a few small rust bubbles forming on the hood and rear quarters. Couldn't find any evidence of lots of bondo. Ran well but may need with water pump replaced as it was a bit noisy. Seller wasn't interested in negotiating much on the price.

Attachments

·
13,083 Posts
The VIN and cowl tag appear legitimate. The car did nothing on eBay and hasn't been re-listed. If he's not willing to come down quite a bit in price in the current environment he's going to have this car for awhile.

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The VIN and cowl tag appear legitimate. The car did nothing on eBay and hasn't been re-listed. If he's not willing to come down quite a bit in price in the current environment he's going to have this car for awhile.

Bob
I made him an offer and told him to call me if he was interested.

·
Super Moderator
3,414 Posts
Concur. Car is too much money, but still definitely has value. Buyer's market considering the current state of affairs, so I'd hold out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a number near the front of the engine block F09I7PN. The "I" is the letter I. Is there any way to use this number to see if it is a 283 engine block? Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sinistar2084!
So it looks like it is the correct motor: F09I7PN
F - Flint Michigan
09 - September
17 - 17th day of Sept
PN - 283cid 2V w/Powerglide

·
13,083 Posts
There's a wire running right through the cowl tag picture obscuring the Fisher body build date. The suffix code say the engine was assembled on September 17th. That would be 1964. If this fits the time frame of the body build, the car is an early '65, built in fall of 1964.

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The full cowl tag numbers/letters are:
09D
65-11637 NOR
1764 C-C
W
2MPS
5WL