Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 1965 Chevy 2 Nova SS and I am starting from scratch. My plan is to clean up the under side, put on a TCI front clip and rear 4-link and 9" rear end, mini-tub the rear without notching the frame, with a 383. I only have the doors and front fenders.....I will need to get everything else, and I mean everything. Since this will be a long process and money is a factor, I wont have the transmission or engine until much later down the road. I am wondering what transmissions should fit with the 383 since I will have the underside and floorboards finished prior...…….I'm wanting a transmission that will fit without major modification. Thanks for the help
nova 2.jpg Nova.jpg

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Welcome to SNS. Do you want to run a auto or manual trans?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto transmission. And as far as the look, I’m only going to keep the window trim, nothing else....still looking at ideas/options. It will be in black primer for several years until I get the money for paint

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just about any transmission will fit until you get to the 80 series used for LS swaps. I have a 65 with a 700r4 over drive and it fits fine. Any 350 or power glide should also fit with no issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have zero molding. The car was stripped down to nothing before me and now I have to figure all that out. By me not stripping the car, I’m going to have a fun time figuring out what all I’m missing and what I need.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
It’s all good if you have a complete 65 with all the original unicorn 65 only pieces.. He stated that he needs everything.. So how many of those bits are reproduced..? If he doesn’t mind dressing it up as a 62/63/64 then he has greater options available..
I have a 65 and think they as good looking as any other first gen years. Odd thing to say to a new member about his car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It’s all good if you have a complete 65 with all the original unicorn 65 only pieces.. He stated that he needs everything.. So how many of those bits are reproduced..? If he doesn’t mind dressing it up as a 62/63/64 then he has greater options available..
Very well, you're right with that said. I didn't know that's what you meant. Thank you for clarifying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Driver side is done. Way more work and time than I thought, and I was thinking it was a lot of work. Passenger side is roughed in, which took about half the time.......I can’t wait to get it on the road
I see the problem
Get rid of the motorcycles and you will find more time to work on the car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t have any of the 65 unique pieces. I’m thinking I will have to use other year parts. Not sure what’s out there yet

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
In 1965 GM pulled out all the stops in their attempt to counter Ford's new pony car the Mustang.

The 1965 Nova SS and Chevy II have the cleanest exterior and nicest interior of all the 1st gens.

A lot of the trim is one-year only for the final year of the 1st gen body style. That coupled with the relatively low production numbers account for the scarcity of the trim.

It's harder to find than other years but that's because everyone wants it. The demand is high but because a lot of it is one-year only, some of the most sought-after pieces are not being reproduced.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had to put a trunk pan in mine because of rust so I cut it out and sat in the hole to make it easier to do my mini tubs. Made it a lot easier. I like the Detroit Speed mini tubs. Believe it or not they make it a lot easier to mini tub the car. I used the fab Quest strips and I didn't think I'd ever get thru grinding all the welds. Your mini tub job and trunk pan job looks great.

I kept my 65 interior and most of the trim. I was lucky that except for the side molding my car had most of it when I bought it. I do like the 65.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts