Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I believe with a 7" wide wheel in a stock 1st gen you're going to want around 4 1/2" of backspace

·
4,535 Posts
Yeah 4.5" to 4.75" seems to be the magic number depending on disc or drum brakes.

Miles

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 64 wagon, I just danced this dance after employing a T.C.I. front coil spring clip with disc brakes, I obtained a set of 15X7 factory rally's that have 4.25" BS, they worked fine on the front (Idid/have not cut springs) with 205-65-15 Michelin defender up front, however the 4.25 BS would not allow the 215-70-15 Michelin defender to fit without rubbing the outer side of tire, so I went to the summitt racing site and bought a set of factory style rally's with 4.50" BS (would have liked 4.75"BS but that was special order and additional $150.00 per wheel) where as 4.5" wheel is in stock and no additional cost and works just fine with 215-70-15 tires, plus my tire guy mounted the tires with the belt (viewed from the inside) opposite the valve stem and the tires balanced at zero and required no additional weight. I was impressed with him the tires and the quality of the rims, which were only like $80.00 each.
So I agree with the BATMAN, plus I think you are going to have to have at least 4.50" BS

Hope this helps, Slick

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
"plus my tire guy mounted the tires with the belt (viewed from the inside) opposite the valve stem and the tires balanced at zero and required no additional weight."

Ok enlighten me. What is "the belt" that you are referring to in your post.
I've never heard about this. :yes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think he's talking about the white wall.

4.5" backspacing centers the rim pretty good with stock width rear.
Not sure on the front, but the biggest issue is with rubbing the front fender lip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok enlighten me. What is "the belt" that you are referring to in your post.
I've never heard about this.

My tire guy is telling me the tires are a lay-up configuration layers on layers and that viewed from the inside there are tell tale signs visable, not a tire guy, so I am repeating what he informed me of, there were two of them concuring what was in the tire, and I had never heard of this unless the tire was marked with an indicator dot like motorcycle tires, but it dang sure worked, because they required no weight and the car rolls very smooth, I'm happy.

Slick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts