Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please measure the tail light panel on a first gen? I'm replacing mine and the new one is almost a 1.25" longer than the original. I don't see that the original was modified but my car was wrecked at one time in its life so just double checking before I cut up the new one.

tail 1.jpg

tail 2.jpg

tail 4.jpg

·
6,557 Posts
While I cannot help with a measurement, I would think if the new one is wider than the old one, then if installed this would throw off the trunk edge to quarter panel gap with it being wider towards the wider taillight panel and then going to a smaller gap closer to the back window.

I cannot see much detail in your pictures but could the new panel be made up of let's say three pieces and maybe they were not welded together to the proper dimensions ?. Maybe go from one edge to a spot and compare differences and maybe things got stacked up on tolerance (but a 1.25" difference is a LOT).

Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are right Jim its throwing everything off. I cant believe classic industries would sell something so far off from the original panel.

·
6,557 Posts
you are right Jim its throwing everything off. I cant believe classic industries would sell something so far off from the original panel.
I know years ago when I bought a pair of NOS quarter panels for my 74, the one side fit very nice while the other side required some sectioning and from what I had heard is that the stamping dies do wear out and the tolerances increase. Not by over an inch like in your case but who knows. All I can say is think ahead before you do any slicing and dicing and who knows if you get another one, maybe it will be better.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts