Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to put a rearend back in my car and there is nothing to center the rearend on the leaf spring is it suppose to have a tab on the bottom of the the leaf spring to center it and if not what keeps the rearend from moving forward or back. Every leaf spring I’ve been around has a centering bolt or tab to keep it where it needs to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Yes, supposed to be a "nub" on the bottom of the leaf spring. That goes into a metal cup that sits in the rubber pad, which then aligns into the bottom metal plate hole. The rear end mounting studs then go in the plate and you are aligned.

Not terribly common, but the nubs do break off. I have also seen aftermarket springs without them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know the spring as stock but neither side have the nub just has a hole in the spring also the old rearend has the studs for the lower plate but the one on installing doesn’t. Can you buy those studs or do you have to use I bolts. Rearend is out of same year chevy II only difference is posi.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
I think the studs are available, but I would try to punch them out of the old rear and reuse them. Can you post a pic of the trouble area on the springs?

·
Registered
218 Posts
When you say the spring has a hole, is it the whole way through the spring? If so, you could put a centering bolt in the spring. You must have some way of locating the rear on the spring or it will move around on you especially with some horsepower.
You can get 7/16 u-bolts from a spring shop or you can knock the t-bolts out of the old rear. Thread a nut on flush with the end of the bolt to protect the threads and smack it with a hammer. Install them in the new rear and pull them in place with washers and a nut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hole is not all the way through The springs just in the bottom spring I believe. That’s what confused me because I’ve never seen one without a pin or bolt to center it and hold it from moving

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The locating pins on the mono leafs only point down and locate off of the lower leaf spring mounting plate. There’s nowhere for a locating pin to go on the axle mounts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the studs are available, but I would try to punch them out of the old rear and reuse them. Can you post a pic of the trouble area on the springs?
I will try and get and post a pic tomorrow
The locating pins on the mono leafs only point down and locate off of the lower leaf spring mounting plate. There’s nowhere for a locating pin to go on the axle mounts.
A48F540A-25FC-4A86-9AEF-2FAFA7FE9507.jpeg

·
Registered
218 Posts
The spring in the pics is out of focus (looks like your camera is focusing on the tailpipe). Does your spring have just one leaf or are there multiple plies there. Hard to see but last pic looks like two plies??

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well then it's not the stock spring unless someone added two plies to the stock spring. All first gen Novas had mono leaf springs, regardless of engine. If it were an aftermarket three ply spring I think it would have a center bolt. I think someone added leaves to your stock spring, that would explain why you have a hole in just the lower leaves. Try pulling those two bottom leaves off and see if you find the main ply has the nub on the bottom. If so, that's what happened. However, they may have added the extra leaves to help sagging original springs, so just removing the extras may not be the answer. Let us know what you find.

·
Vendor
1,761 Posts
Here are pics of the tabs.
20200727_112338.jpg 20200727_112343.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m guessing either they broke off or somebody cut them off cause you can tell where they was
07A672DF-8228-4007-AD61-52AC91C760C9.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has 3 leafs but someone has definately added the other two and poorly I might ad don’t think they were really even doing anything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I've heard, you're not supposed to weld on a spring but it looks like the original nubs were welded. I think welding would take the hardening out of the spring. Originals might have been welded before the hardening process. Talk to a spring shop, if you have one in your area, maybe they can weld on a locating nub and then reharden the spring.
If it comes down to needing other springs, I have a pair of originals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts