Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on painting the metal dash board in my 64 hardtop. I will take the windshield out as it needs to be replaced anyway. The car is silver blue and the dash is a darker blue. I just want to do a rattle can repaint. What would be the best paint to get for this job? any advice on prep etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
If it was mine I would chemically strip it, should come off easy, there usually isn't much paint on the dash. I would also stay with the factory look of a satin or semi gloss paint.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If it was mine I would chemically strip it, should come off easy, there usually isn't much paint on the dash. I would also stay with the factory look of a satin or semi gloss paint.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you’re going to paint it with spray cans like you stated, I would go with a flat color. Black is more common unless you can find a similar blue in flat finish. I would paint it black if I were using cans.

·
Registered
570 Posts
find some satin blue paint that's close and paint some metal pieces. Then compare it to your door panels and try to find one that matches. I sanded mine with 220 grit, then 320 grit. The original paint is super thin and sands right off.

·
6,447 Posts
I went with a non stock color. Went to Dulux and got a premium paint for metal. I brought in some material and they scanned it for the color. Paint is a low sheen but not matt. Paint was very reasonable and seems to be holding up well. The remaining interior metal (posts, upper and lower doors, etc...)were painted as well.
DSC_7380.jpg

DSC_9290.jpg

DSC_9292.jpg

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I would go to your local auto paint store, and have them mix you up some silver blue paint code for your car and have them put it in a spray can.

They can look up the paint code for your car for a really good match.

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
If stock isn't required, it's genius to match the interior material on the door panels or other interior. There are companies online that will mix color to match, but I haven't had success with any. None matched well enough.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I went with a non stock color. Went to Dulux and got a premium paint for metal. I brought in some material and they scanned it for the color. Paint is a low sheen but not matt. Paint was very reasonable and seems to be holding up well. The remaining interior metal (posts, upper and lower doors, etc...)were painted as well.
View attachment 357747

View attachment 357749

View attachment 357751
That looks really good, low sheen is the only way to go on the interior IMHO. Great job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts