Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing TCI front swap, along with a LQ4/4L80 trans swap, & Vintage Air swap. The motor will be nothing crazy, 400-425 hp, with a stock 4L80 and stock converter. I have a Ford 8.8" (3.73, limited slip, disc) rear that I will narrow and use. I can not seem to narrow down what I want to do for the rear suspension.

I've talked to Tim's Hot Rods about TCI's Torque Arm but they do not make one that fits a 8.8", not say so that I couldn't fab up a plate to make it work but to spend that kind of money and still do fab work does not appeal to me. After that discussion Tim and I talked about TCI's 4 Link, I've been told that it not only works well for going straight but will work great for cornering as well, but i'm just not sold on it.

I've talked to a couple guys via Facebook on CBR's multi leaf kit that seam to be happy with it, but by the time I ship it to my door, buy subframe connectors, and a decent set of rear shocks it does not seem to be a whole lot cheaper than going TCI route.

I currently have a 8.2" 10 bolt with stock mono underneath the car now.

My first kid will be popping out in the next 5 months and would like this project done or close to by then. My overall goal with this project is using this as a daily, taking it on family vacays, and doing the occasional autocross with it for shits and gigs. I by no means expect this thing to be competitive in autocross.

Am I missing another option for rear suspension set ups for these 1st gens? I will also add that i'm contemplating on whether or not doing DSE mini tub kit as well. What is everyone's suggestion on a rear suspension setup for what I want to do?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The 8.8 is going to be a problem for most kits that are available on the market. The axle tubes on the 8.8 are 3.25” diameter and most aftermarket kits are made for 3” axle tubes. You might need to look at suspension applications for Mustangs there is a lot of stuff made for them. I’ve seen a torque arm bolt on for them. The Mustangs already have a triangulated 4 link suspension and the torque arm setup I’ve seen eliminates the upper arms. You might have to get creative with some aftermarket parts to get where you want to be. Also, 3rd and 4th gen Camaro’s were factory equipped with a torque arm suspension setup. They came on 7.5” 10 bolt axles but axle upgrades are available for them through the usual suppliers Currie, Quick Performance, etc.

Pictured is a 4th gen Camaro setup.
C2D627E1-7B7D-4A0E-99F8-87AC626284D6.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think the torque arm or even 4 link is overkill for what I'm doing with the car? It's been awhile since I was on CBR website but I thought shipping for the multi leaf kit was $200+ but I could be thinking of something else. Their website currently will not show me shipping for that item. I'll have to call them tomorrow to confirm.

I'm wondering if their multi leaf kit, subframe connectors and some ridetech shocks would do me just fine? I think the one big downfall of going then leaf route is no adjustable height wise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts