Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks as though I am a victim of my own ignorance here. I am restoring a 63 SS convertible and bought a set of bucket seats because the originals were missing when I bought the car. I bought them off of craigslist from a guy; drove 3 hours round trip and the guy said these seats were the same for Nova, Impala, Chevelle etc. I think that I have identified them as Corvair after some head scratchin.

The tracks do not mount up to the holes, and my question to you guys is are these tracks specific to early Novas? I have been looking for a couple months now and none of the inside tracks that I have found for GM bucket seats match the distance on the floor (10" or so). My next question is if I put new Nova covers on these Corvair seats and find the smaller tracks, can I just bolt them on and get on with life? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
I believe the seat tracks are Chevy II/Nova spacific, but the seats should be the same for Corvair & Chevy ll ,maybe Chevelle too, I think Impala seats are a little wider
Craig

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
^^^:yes: The holes are not in the same locations on the floors of the Corvairs vs. Chevy II., thus the tracks are differently designed....

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The very first question has to be... Do the seats fold straight or at an angle? If they fold at an angle you just need to find Nova seat tracks. If they fold straight, they are out of a '64 or newer and will not work. The '64 and newer seats are narrower by approx. 1 inch. This is the easiest way to tell them apart.

So...Whatcha got?

To answer the rest of your question...If they are out of a Corvair (or Buick Special, or Olds F85, etc) and they fold at an angle, then you can put the Nova covers on them and be fine! Depending on where the pleats are in the current upholstery, you may need to reattach the listing (on the springs) in order to align with the Nova pattern.

Chuck

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remember correctly they fold straight forward. They are disassembled at the upholstry shop right now. The guy said that the new foam and covers went right on the first seat no problem. I am pretty up on identification of parts, but this seat thing is sure whipping me.

I guess there is a indention or recess that is on the inside of the bottom frame that I have since discovered also.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
If they fold straight, they are too narrow... I've been EXACTLY where you're at! The covers go on, no problem, but as you start to pull them tight, they have way too much slack. My '63 seats measure 21 inches across the widest part of the seat base frame. My '64/'65 seats measure 20 inches. You can see how the covers will go on, but they won't be easy to pull tight and make look right. THEN, when you find a set of real Nova tracks, they'll sit too wide to align with the holes in the floor. You can adapt them of course, but it all depends what you want when you're done.

Just trying to let you know what you're in for...

Been there, Done THAT!:D

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
...I guess there is a indention or recess that is on the inside of the bottom frame that I have since discovered also.
THAT in itself is a positive sign. My '63 seats have that raised "indentation" which goes towards the center console. My '64/65 seats are flat on the bottom. You may have the correct seats afterall. Check with your upholsterer. Your seats probably fold at an angle. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I was told 65 was the first year of folding foward :confused:
I've heard both... :confused::confused: Fortunately, the '63 is known to fold at an angle. Whew!
...The guy to ask is Rudy at Modern Performance Classics. He knows this stuff inside and out!

·
Registered
983 Posts
So to this indentation on the inside side of the frame...is this critical to the seat fitting and clearing something?

I cannot post wanted ads yet, Thanks.

EDIT and you can't Post them here either.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The indentation IS on the "inside" (towards the trans tunnel when installed). As far as I can see in my car, it doesn't necessarily add clearance for anything. Remember, GM used the seats in as many applications as possible to save money. There may have been a reason at one time to add that raised area to gain clearance. The Corvair has NO transmission tunnel, so it probably wasn't for that. It could have had something to do with console bolt access when installed in an Impala or something????

As far as finding tracks... GOOD LUCK! I was extremely fortunate to find a set on Ebay. The seller was trying to be sly and sell them in two different auctions and I think he scared people away. When all was said and done, I got both pieces for $60 plus shipping. I imagine they're worth quite a bit more 'cus they're so hard to find.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check this out in Classic Industries New 2009 Catalog,:yes:
toll free 800-854-1280
www.classicindustries.com

Have a "new item", a 1962-72 Bench to Bucket Seat Conversion Bracket.
On page 20, catalog item #B2542............$19.95 set.
Study the picture and see if you can adapt it for your use.
This is the only place I have even seen any kind of 62 bracket.:D

Gary (69camaro)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad mentioned something about those to me and I checked, they are out of stock. So they must be popular. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can anyone throw in their 2 cents on these brackets mentioned above that you can get from classic industries?

Do they work for all bucket seats or do you have to have the original tracks; putting me back at square one.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Those tracks may give you a leg up adapting tracks to your car, but the only ones that will fit right with no mods will be the correct tracks for your car. Many of the tracks such as these are really for adapting buckets into cars that originally came with a bench seat, as they had no mounting on the floors for inside tracks (near the trans tunnel).

Contact Rudy at Modern Performance Classics. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
338 Posts
To 63AzureAquaSS,

Study above Sticky: 66-74 Nova Buckets and mounts Research - page 5,
1962-1966 bucket seat track adjusters are all similar with open ends, whereas the 1967-1974 tracks have holes on both ends, measurements differ however.

RE: Classic Industries 2009 Nova Catalog - page 20, also lists 1966-71 bucket seat track adjusters, lh $99& rh $99. Error here, these should be listed as 1967-71 track adjusters.

the Parts Place Inc also has Nova bucket seat mount brackets.
1962-1974:
universal weld-in type, 2 pieces does 1 bucket, #IN2448N for $29.
1962-1967:
bolt-in type, 4 pieces for both buckets, #IN5637N for $129. See ad at:
http:/www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/part.asp?VID=5&YearList=1965

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts