Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to site. Very good info and i will sure be using it and as i learn and get any advise i will do my best to help out others.

The problem i have is on my 1963 wagon i just picked up. I took off the front drums and no guts. They did give me a box full of shoes, springs,adjusters ect... The issue is= the front drums wont work with the proper 9"x2 1/4" shoes it calls for. The 9" is correct but the width is smaller on the drum. They are like the same as the rear, using the 9"x1 3/4" shoes. What are these drums off of? Can i use the rear shoes with these drums on the front? Have any of ever heard of this? Can i move on or get new drums for front? Thanks
phil

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
I would guess the drums you have are for the rear.Most cars have wider front shoes for more braking in the front.I suspect you could use the rear size shoes but it will not stop very well.Has it been converted to 5 lug or is it still 4 lug?They do not stop very well with all the correct brake parts. What are your plans for the car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still 4 lug. They are front because they have the center for bearings and spindle. My plans are to get this thing moving asap so i can drive it to my body/paint guy. I do plan on kepping for a daily driver. I would like to see how the drums handle. If they handle ok, ll keep it drum. If not all that great ill go disc. I just dont have time to order disc kit and money for that yet. Plus the thing ive been wanting to know= if a 14" wheel will work on disc brakes?

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
I am not sure if there are any 4 lug disc kits out there but the CPP zero offset front brakes are supposed to work with 14 inch wheels you need to convert to 5 lug though.Also for 14 inch wheels to work they have to be 14 inch disc brake wheels,they are shapeed a little different on the back side to clear the calipers

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just had to deal with a similar problem with my 63 hard top, the biggest problem with the 4-lug set up is that only 62 and 63 had it, no one make all of the parts any more. You can find the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, adjusters and the hoses, but no one makes the internal springs for them. There is a company that make a 4-lug disc conversion for the front, its about $500.00, but you will need to order new wheels for the front.
I spent $300.00 on new shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses and master cylinder (which I still have) before I found out the springs were not available.
In my opinion $500.00 puts you half way to a 5-lug conversion, and if your going to buy new wheels anyway its a better investment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess im going to go to auto parts right now and buy the 1 3/4 shoes and see how that handles. Ill go from there. Thanks. Phil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now im pissed. Got the rear shoes for the front,slaped it together and the drum bottoms out at the back of spindle like suppose to but it needs to be in more. The shoes are not all the way in drum( about 1/4". So ive got the wrong drums. Dont know what they are off of. So thats what threw me off from the begging. I need the right drums and 4 lug. Does anyone know what years,makes and models would be the same. (factory 1963 nova 4 lug)?????
Thanks phil

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello, I also have a 63 nova with four wheel, four lug drum brakes. I know from the Shop Manual that the front's are 9" x 2 1/4" and the rears are 9" x 1 3/4". Kanter Auto sells new front rotors for 62-63 Nova, but they are $99 bucks a piece. As far as a spring kit, chevy2only sells a Rear wheel spring kit, but not sure if it is similar to the front. Unfortunately I'm not sure of any other vehicle with this size drum brake. I am in the same situation--debating if I should convert to 5 lug. ABSpowerbrake has a four-lug disc setup for the stock spindles, but 14" wheels or larger are in order. As was said, if you have to buy wheels anyways, might as well go 5-lug; but then you also have to change out the rear axles (or have them re-drilled) and change the rear brakes (if you want the ease of one spare tire). So the cost just went up some more. I definitely want front disc brakes; but I'm not sure if I want to go 5-lug because of needing to change out the rear setup.

Sorry, I probably didn't answer any of your questions, just figured I would post my recent thoughts on a similar situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, i got lucky. Found a 64 nova at pick a part the other day. Had a 5 lug set up. Took it, not bad 200 bucks for everything. Now i need to get 5 lug wheels. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did the parts car have the rearend with it? If it did, it will keep you from having to do anything to your 4 lug rear. Keeping it all stock will also help you with your wheel situation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i got the rear 5 lug too. havent put it in yet. hopefully next week. still need to get 5 lug chevy 14" wheels now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts