Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 63 8 pass wagon. The owner before me drop in a 350 with a th350. Has 4 lug wheels right now and a single res. master. The car hasn't run in 11 yrs. Gas tank leaks and could not find a new tank or sending unit anywhere. Having the tank repaired and sealed at a local radiator shop....about 200.00. What will it take to swap the 4 lug to 5 lug? Cost? Hassle? I'm pretty mechanical but am a novice in this area. Any advice on anything would be great. I know there are a few people out there with a lot of experience on these wagons. I will send photos of my find later. Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sweet find congrats... 9 passenger fuel tanks are a 1 off item. The 5 lug conversion is available on any 64-67 donor. Bolt on stuff.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think like the previous post, you can use an ordinary tank and reverse the fill to the other side for the 8 passenger wagon.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thanks never heard them called 8 passenger always 9 passenger!
Well, my "proof" may not actually be Kosher. I 'blew up' the page (it's a .jpg file) and what I thought was an '8' appears to be a '3'. I'd always heard the Chevy II wagons referred to as '8-passenger', so I figured that all I'd have to do was go to the 1963 ads. But, it appears that Chevy was very careful not to reference the passenger count in its ads...

So, I went to the 'internal' data that Chevrolet published on the 345/445 series wagons.
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Nova/1963-Chevrolet-Nova.pdf
There wasn't anything in plain English there, either. The only clues to the 8-passenger designation are (1) the 'hip room' measurements... The 3-seat wagons have 59 inches of hip room in the front and second seats, but only 36 inches in the third seat. That's enough for two small people, but not three... unless they're young children. And (2) the weight capacities... To calculate the "design weight", Chevrolet added 150 pounds for each passenger to the "curb weight". On the 3-seat wagons (6 cylinder used for this example), the curb weight is 3,060 pounds and the design weight is 4,260 - exactly 1,200 pounds or 150 pounds multiplied by 8 passengers.

·
13,813 Posts
The 3rd seat in these wagons is about 2/3 the width of the middle seat. There's no way you could seat 3 adults back there and even 3 little kids would be marginal. Even putting 6 adults in a 1st gen 4 door Nova sedan is something you only want to do for short trips.

Bob

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not sure where you are at in Washington but if your close enough you can have my 10 bolt 5 lug rear for gas money.. I'm in Oak Harbor on Whidbey island..

I'd second that.. you can get new tank and sending unit for under 200 bones..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Heading to the Good guys show this weekend in Puyallup.. If your going lemme know, i'll throw that rearend in the truck.. I'm hoping to find a decent set of wheels down there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts