Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1963 Nova Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1963 that the left brake light will not work. The tail lights work as do the turn signals on both sides, but the drivers side brake light won't. Obviously bubs are fine, brake switch under dash is working - checked wiring to the lights and all are good - free of shorts. I have an electrical diagram of the car and it looks like the brake lights go through the turn signal switch? Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot next? Thanks!

·
Registered
1963 Hardtop W.I.P.
309 Posts
The first thing I thought was the there's two wires crossed. It might look and test fine.

Does the brake light come one when you activate the signal?

Obviously I'm no expert.

·
Registered
1963 Nova Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here's another fact I found out today with this. If you put the directional on - the brake light works, -in other words, the drivers side brake light only works when the drivers side directional is on and I think the wrong filament is flashing - the left side is way brighter than the right side.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a similar issue when I was putting my 63 Vert back together. When all was said and done, I had not tightened down all four screws holding the front turn signals in place. When I tightened the screws all my turn signal issues went away. Check the grounds in the system and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
my call also it's the socket not grounding good in the tail light, as the right brake light gets power from the lefside.
t

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
275 Posts
So here's another fact I found out today with this. If you put the directional on - the brake light works, -in other words, the drivers side brake light only works when the drivers side directional is on and I think the wrong filament is flashing - the left side is way brighter than the right side.
Check the position of the turn signal switch and make sure it is centered. I’ve run into the same issue on older cars. You can work it back and forth a few times and then check the stop lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts