Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Nova owners...

I have a bit of a challenge, I have a little less than 2 months to complete my sons 1963 Chevy II for his 16th birthday and my recent challenge has to do with a aftermarket cowl hood.

When installing the hood, the corners tend to pop up, and when you apply pressure they will go down, but not flush with the fenders.

It is a Steel Goodwrench hood I believe... It was purchased from a guy that deals with Novas here in the Inland Empire...

The hinges are as low as they can go...

I had a thought to grind the bottoms of the hinges down and re-drill new mounting holes to create more clearance so I can get the hood to become more flush with the fenders.

Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
I know this answer is going to sound weird, but you need to rotate the hinges so that the back end of them (the end towards the windshield) is UP a little. You hood will then close correctly. I know this seems wrong, but I had the same probelm and someone on this site told me to do this and it works.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
It sounds like there might be a bind in the hinges. Check to see if the stansions have any rub or grind marks on the outter facing side. Mine did the same thing when I had the steel hood on my car. I had to make sure the mount plate at the hood on each side was not clocked one way or the other. I hope that's it and nothing more complicated. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I know this answer is going to sound weird, but you need to rotate the hinges so that the back end of them (the end towards the windshield) is UP a little. You hood will then close correctly. I know this seems wrong, but I had the same probelm and someone on this site told me to do this and it works.
Ron
what Ron said

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem with my 64 with a fiberglass hood I thought the hood was made wrong so I ground the hinges down since the hood was 3/4" higher than the fenders in the back and the hinges were hitting the cowl and it didnt work. I got some new hinges and played around with it and ended up putting the front as low as it would go and the rear as high as it would go and it worked out great. If you have to push down on the back of the hood every time you close it to get it to line up correctly than the pins in the hinges are probably wore out you can pull the springs of to see if there is any slop

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
cowl hood

I am working on the same issue myself. My problem was compounded with a aftermarket front subframe and side inner panels. I worked days and days to get the fit you are looking for. I found the best way to fix the problem is to remove the hood springs, remove the hood and adjust the hinges with the back of the hing completely level resting on the the cowl. I even dimpled the cowl for a little extra wiggle room. It was still not perfect. I then noticed the top "skin" of the cowl hood was not welded in the correct place to the shell of the hood. At that point I had two choices 1) cut out the welds and drop the skin down on the shell or 2) use a 2x4 place it over the hing area on the top of the hood and make several hard blows. After consulting with my bodyman I had to go with option 2). I just did it today and what a fit. Yes it did leave some ripples in the hood but that was the best solution and a hour or so of filling and blocking fixed the problem . But now my hood fits perfectly to the cowl and fenders. Besides, all cars have filler on them and I just had to get over it and move on.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm facing the same issue on my '64. I 've been fighting this for weeks, I tried to slot the holes in the hinges (elongate the hole down in the front and up in the rear hole) and rotated the hinge up in the front and down in the rear. It felt like the hood was binding on the hinges. I purchased reproduction hinges and found that the rivets already had play in them, I didn't want to grind anything in fear I couldn't return them. I ended up returning them. Then I located someone who rebuilds OEM hinges, what a difference, hood fits flat with the fenders and looks good. Now I need to find some lighter hinge springs due to the stiffer springs and the lighter hood. Any ideas?

www.hoodhingrepair.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts