Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow ChevyII Commrades,

Besides using a PowerGlide transmission, what are the available automatic e-transmission options to use without extensive modifications to the transmission tunnel? I want to purchase a turn-key Connect & Cruise package from GM and most of those are using the 4L65e. I have be told by ChassisWorks, the factory transmission tunnel metal has to removed and replaced for proper angle from output shaft to differential.

I will be using the factory SS console with the new e-transmission.

Thank you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The stock tunnel should take a 4L75E trans fine. The 6L would need a bunch of surgery, but the 4L75 should fit fine. I am confident enough that I have not mocked mine up yet, but I have started the paint process. My body was on the rotisserie while I did the tubs and the Quadralink fabrication. I am going to paint the body complete and spray the underside of the car with tinted bedliner before I put the body back on the ground and mate it to the new front clip. Only then will I install the engine and trans for the first time. The 4L75E trans is exactly the same size as the 4L60, 65, and 70, as well as the 700R4 trans. There have been a bunch of guys install them without cutting the tunnel. Maybe they thought you were talking about the 4l80 trans, which does require some modification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, Thank you for the quick reply ?. My bodyshop is telling to figure out the transmission now while its on the rotisserie.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a 700r4 in a 1965 and there has been no floor/tunnel work done. I would also think the 4l60,65,70 and 75 would be a direct bolt in.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
wraythe......i have a 700R4 in my 66 an also a power glide shifter with a SS console. an there is no floor/tunnel changes done except the hole for the shifter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G2072 and Redrider66SS, I want to thank both of you for your replies! I'm upset with ChassisWorks team for providing wrong information. This is a caring community and I'm looking to contribute ?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
i don't have alot of pictures of the shift install. but if ya need PM me an i'll see what i have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
G2072 and Redrider66SS, I want to thank both of you for your replies! I'm upset with ChassisWorks team for providing wrong information. This is a caring community and I'm looking to contribute ?
I have a chassie works g machine front clip with an ls1 and 4l60 e tranny and I had to do a little work on the tunnel to get the correct drive shaft and pinion angle. I was told by tech at cw that I had to do a little work on the tunnel and I am happy that I went with a 4l60 e

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a chassie works g machine front clip with an ls1 and 4l60 e tranny and I had to do a little work on the tunnel to get the correct drive shaft and pinion angle. I was told by tech at cw that I had to do a little work on the tunnel and I am happy that I went with a 4l60 e
Thank you for your input! Could you please provide details to what modifications you had to do with tunnel? My shop is wanting to paint under the body and I don't want to hold them up any longer.

As a side note, did you use ChassisWorks Subframe G-Connector (outside frame)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had to cut a section about a 12"section out of the pas side of the tunnel and put the tranny back in at the correct angle then I filled it back in with the tranny in place with 2"wide pieces the sheet metal is thin so you need to do small welds and grind them down then I built a cross member for the tranny that sits just about a 1/2" below the floor boards and everything tucks up tight . And I didnt use the connectors I installed the CBR tri 4 link

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to cut a section about a 12"section out of the pas side of the tunnel and put the tranny back in at the correct angle then I filled it back in with the tranny in place with 2"wide pieces the sheet metal is thin so you need to do small welds and grind them down then I built a cross member for the tranny that sits just about a 1/2" below the floor boards and everything tucks up tight . And I didnt use the connectors I installed the CBR tri 4 link
Happy Friday and thank you for the reply! This modification to the transmission tunnel is what I was concerned about ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts