Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
thanks guys, I feel like i'm in the home stretch but still working out a few kinds maybe you can help me on!

#1 - I used the 3m urethane for installing new glass into new metal channels for the vent windows. Turned out great BUT when I installed them into the frame and tightened down the spring nut it pulled the frame off of the glass! Has anyone else had to deal with this? I wonder if butyl set tape would work better? I'm thinking of just taking to a glass shop for them to put the glass in the frame.

#2 - headliner! I can't seem to find any videos for a chevy II. Also, not sure where my clothes hanger hook it supposed to go. need a couple photos!

#3 - on my new carpet, how are folks making the holes for things like the seat track bolts? It's actually pretty hard to cut on this stuff. I was thinking of melting it with a wood burner tool but that seems like it would smoke and make a mess.

#4 - My speedo cable is too short since I added a Muncie to an original column shifter tranny. Does anyone know what length cable I need for the Muncie? It's a late year, early 70's fine spine.

Can't wait to go trash on this car! Once it's back together, 421 SBC is getting built this winter!

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
lookin good.

I heated up an old socket to red hot and then burnt through the carpet. makes a perfect circle with "finished off" carpet ends. I use a six inch extension to avoid the heat. The hole is made a bit bigger than the outside diameter of the socket.
Got the idea from a video.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Duntov, regarding #3, I do use a soldering iron. It works great. A little smoke but no mess. You get the added benefit of having the carpet threads "sealed" when the hot iron melts the threads. Reduces the chance of pulling a thread.

I do the same thing when running a sheetmetal screw thru loop carpet. No unraveling.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
vent windows- I am not sure how they would pull apart unless you are missing the screw at the top where they join or the pop rivets at the bottom on the side.
Can you post a picture of how you have them together?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If you think of the actual vent glass, there is a thin metal trim piece (that has the bolt and spring) that the glass is glued into, which is then installed in the much larger vent glass assembly. What's pulling apart on mine is when the vent glass is installed on the assembly, and the spring tightened up, it's pulling the metal trim off the glass. I'll try to take a photo later. I used the 3M windoweld urethane adhesive.

Also - i tried the red hot socket trick for the carpet and man does that work good!

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
The spring should not be very tight. The spring controls the tension for when the wing window is installed in the door. It determines the wing hold open tension I think.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
there used to be a thread a while back, a few years that was an excellent step by step of install on the vent window install. but photo bucket probably FUBAR'd the photos but the text would still help. i tried to find the post but come up empty, maybe some one else knows of that thread.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
So I figured out I was doing a few things wrong. For one I was getting the screw too tight. Also, my brand new window frames were too slick for the urethane to stick well. So I roughed it up and it's much better.

But now I have a new problem! With the vent windows latched shut, the front portion of the glass is not touching the gasket in the corner. It is basically not shutting enough to seal closed if it rains. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Did you re attach the frame at the bottom ? If so, I am wondering ( and I hope I am wrong) if your new frames are a poor fit and or perhaps your new glass is a poor fit). Can you post a picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
visual update. got some big slicks to fit in the stock wells and stock rearend / suspension. Just need to do another cut on the paint and the car is done. See my other post I could use some help determining which turn signal cam to purchase.

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts