Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks to everyone for your tips on the upholstery in another thread. I took my seats apart and was a little overwhelmed because the foam basically fell apart. I ended up getting 2" foam and poly batting from local fabric store and it was super easy. I have a few wrinkles in my first crack at it, but they are in spots covered up by the body (back seat). I'm glad I did the rear before tackling the front. For anyone contemplating new seat covers, it's pretty easy and there are great youtube videos

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your build is awesome, my favorite kind: Don't make it perfect, make it drive! Love the whole package.

Got any video clips of the car running? I'm sure a high squeeze, solid lifter motor sounds snotty!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are they on Youtube at all? You can upload them there and post a link on here. Most of the time, videos are too large to host on a forum directly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
No, I don't have youtube account.

But I do have a question - I am getting ready to weld on my subframe connectors. They are currently bolted on the rear, but just basically press fit onto the front. I am wondering if I should bother drilling the holes to bolt them, or if I should just weld them on? Any opinions here?

Also - one side of the car sits up 1/2" higher than the other when I measure the rear wheel wells? Is this something I should look into or should I just give the 57 year old car a break?:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
quite a few folks have asked me for a vid of the exhaust. This sounds pointless unless you have headphones and the idle is a little high but you can get the idea. It was a cold rainy night, hence all the smoke. I must be really bad at driving four speeds because they always make strange noises, even when I'm just trying to park the car. Happens towards the end of the video.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, I don't have youtube account.

But I do have a question - I am getting ready to weld on my subframe connectors. They are currently bolted on the rear, but just basically press fit onto the front. I am wondering if I should bother drilling the holes to bolt them, or if I should just weld them on? Any opinions here?

Also - one side of the car sits up 1/2" higher than the other when I measure the rear wheel wells? Is this something I should look into or should I just give the 57 year old car a break?:D
I drilled a hole and bolted my front pieces on instead of welding them in; makes removing them down the road a lot easier. This actually saved my bacon when I had to remove them recently to do new leaf spring bushings; aligning the holes on the spring pockets, subframe connectors, and floating nuts was an absolute nightmare until I loosened up the connectors.

quite a few folks have asked me for a vid of the exhaust. This sounds pointless unless you have headphones and the idle is a little high but you can get the idea. It was a cold rainy night, hence all the smoke. I must be really bad at driving four speeds because they always make strange noises, even when I'm just trying to park the car. Happens towards the end of the video.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWwlLtLIBI
That thing sounds awesome! Perfect exhaust note for a hot rod. I like that you're not above doing burnouts in your driveway like the rest of us lunatics. :yes:

LOL - thanks. Without headphones all I can hear are the fenderwell headers and the solid lifters. When I'm bored at work I listen to that clip for motivation to finish the car in the evenings!
I have a few of those clips of my car too. Hearing the thump-thump-thump once in a while is a solid motivational tool.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not much to update on, just about ready for primer and paint! Just a couple little spots left that need some filler.

Really intimidated about taking all the door internals apart, if anyone is in the Portland / Metro area that has experience here I'd be happy to buy the beer / pizza for some help dissasembling!

On a side note, took a break from the car and cleaned up my shop. Built some new cabinets and thought I'd share something that turned out awesome. The doors are sliding. I make a lot of lists when I work on projects so I covered the doors in dry erase material. It has been really helpful to just keep my lists visible, and really fun to check things off each night!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wish me luck, all windows out, door internals out, ready to start shooting primer. I'm behind on my schedule of getting this car basically complete by June! A little intimidated getting the window internals back in the door so if there's anyone local that could help me out with one side after I paint, I'd buy the beer and pizza!

Also - I have the plastic headlight buckets and was trial fitting them last night. Do they really just need to be cut and continually sanded down until they fit or am I missing something major? Bolt holes don't line up and looks like all the edges need to be either cut or sanded considerably.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very nice job on your build. What kind of clutch are you running? Did you go with multi leaf rear springs? Just wondering if you get much "wheel hop". My build is much alike..63 2d sedan 4 bolt 350 60 over..vortec heads with spings..close ratio 4 speed and 373 12 bolt pos. If you can get these cars to Launch..there pretty quick. Im running fender well headers and super shift 2 shifter. Looking for an intake now. Lots of opinions out there. prob go with edlebrock air gap. What color are you thinking on your car? Im thinking a burgandy/maroonish pearl. It got red interior. Nice camaro also!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes, your rig sounds very similar! I am running the small (153 tooth) flywheel and Mcleod clutch. I am not getting ANY wheel hop but I also don't have any traction so it's sort of a moot point until I get some slicks. I'm repainting mine the stock blue color but changing interior to all black. Post some photos of your car!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Uh oh, things got serious last night! epoxy primer then high build. Looks like I have a few weeks of sanding! I'm curious though, I see some people dry sand the primer, and some folks wet sand. I'm not sure which I should do. The glass is out, so I was thinking of dry sanding the top, but wet sanding the sides just planning on cleaning my floor routinely. Input?

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
oh boy. it has become clear that I hate sanding cars. My schedule was to have the car complete and back on the road in July. It's now July and I still have guide coat on!! I slammed the entire wiring, drivetrain, running gear, etc. all together in like 3 months. Now the project has completely stalled:(

Attachments

41 - 60 of 75 Posts