Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well - fixed my low speed overheat problem. Fabbed up an ugly but effective shroud. Once I plugged up the gaps it worked like a charm. Will need to clean it up and paint the shroud this winter.

Dropped it off at the muffler shop, and then I'm done for the summer! Car was a hoot to drive at 6 AM with no traffic. I used the Chevy II only lockout plates on the front end alignment and can't believe how much it has improved the drive. The thing still feels like it will tip over in a corner, but I don't plan on driving it in the twisties.

A little concerning crossing it up in third. Need some traction!

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Almost done for the summer! Got my full exhaust installed last night by a local old school exhaust shop. Ended up doing full 2.5" to an H pipe directly behind my Muncie. So I can easily take the tranny out separately. The alignment was inside of the front and rear sub-frame area so that I can put connectors in at a future date without exhaust in my way. Turndowns at the rear bumper and even with loud straight thru mufflers there is zero drone.

I can post photos if anyone would like to see for their project.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally worked out all the kinks on the motor / drivability. Thought I might share what I ended up with.

Car wanted much more advance than I had. I thought it was surging from too much advance, but it actually wanted more. it's at 16 deg static plus about 20 mechanical all in at 36 by 2500 RPM (lightest springs). Added about 14 deg vacuum adv so the idle smoothed way out and even with the 30-30 cam I'm pulling 15.5 pounds at 900 RPM. All pretty standard stuff but that's the most vacuum I've ever had with that cam.

stumble was from poorly adjusted accelerator pump.

Car comes back apart for bodywork in a few weeks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well - just about ready to get this in for final dyno tune and then tear it apart for the winter and get it painted, interior done.

Found a nice hurst comp shifter at a swap meet, so had to start all over on shifter linkage. Good thing I had a forge to make quick work of some new linkage bends! Still had an issue getting my old bench shifter handle to tighten up. Well - it is now welded on to the shifter and tight as hell!

Also - someone PM'd me for photos of the exhaust routing.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Had an old hurst shifter laying around. Arms wouldn't work right. Had an old ITM shifter laying around. Welded up my own linkage that would work. Had to do some creative modifications to my tunnel to get the Muncie and linkage to fit.

Turns out.... I had my crossmember in backwards which is what was causing the rubbing. If I would have had it in on the proper offset, I probably wouldn't have had to cut at all. Oh well! I ended up using the access to fab those linkage rods. Will be welded shut again soon and covered with interior kit.
liking that shifter .... whats the story on it ? just had it dusted off and put in ...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
liking that shifter .... whats the story on it ? just had it dusted off and put in ...
When I bought the rig, it had a 3 speed and 4 speed saginaw in the trunk with a hodge-podge of shifters. I frankenstiened one for a few months but a few weeks ago put in a proper hurst super comp from a swap meet find. Shifts tight and snappy now! Still had to fire up the forge to get my linkage arms aligned correctly but that's pretty normal stuff.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
very nice. I really like the open concept mod for access to the shift linkage and the header collector:D
LOL - my access portal is slowly closing, although I am planning on having a removable panel so that I have such easy access next time it's needed. Not very fun welding on this thin pan, big learning curve and I'm glad god invented grinders....

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice! My cousin is building a 64 sedan. I wish my wagon was this far along. I have the suspension but no drive line. Looking at options.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Man - I can't believe how long bodywork takes. Tons of respect for people that do this for a living. I've managed to get the worst repairs complete. Decided to keep my original sheet metal and I'm glad I went that route. Hung the door by myself last night and I think I got it pretty dang close.

A buddy came by and set me up with AN fuel lines. I like to keep things old school, but the AN stuff does really clean up the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Things moving quickly again. Ended up with some extra spending money. Ordered my complete interior kit, subframe connectors, slapper bars (wish they were yellow...) and all gaskets to put everything back together after paint. Bodywork slowed down due to my shop being a little chilly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
All my parts came! Including complete interior kit. Ordered from Junior at GM classics and the guy was awesome to work with! Thanks for the tips. Got all my weatherstripping from Ground Up. Should be some photos coming, just need to wait out the winter so I can shoot paint and reassemble!

21 - 40 of 76 Posts