Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a lot of enjoyment and ideas generated by looking at many build threads. Thought I would start one for my project.

Bought from a buddy a surprisingly sound 1962 Nova sedan 6 cyl this december for my birthday. Took it home that night and gutted interior. Next day took out motor. Next day took out all wires.

It is now June and the following is complete:

-5 lug conversion
-front disc conversion
-complete new wiring from AAW (best thing could have ever done)
-took a DZ style solid lifter motor from our 69 camaro and dropped into the Nova along with a Muncie
-3:73 posi rearend from donor Nova

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what an entire set of factory wires looks like thrown in a box, and this is what the new ones look like! I have another thread about my experience with AAW and the re-wiring of this car. Hands down the best move I have made so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now on to the motor. My dad was itchin to get a new motor in his 69 camaro. The only excuse he needed was my project. He offered up his healthy DZ style 350 solid lifter motor that was built right. Blueprinted, balanced, etc. etc. I can't tell you how many times this motor has been north of 7,000 RPM in front of it's 4 speed. Very fun motor. Should last me until I can get this car put back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fenderwell headers. Love these things! I can easily take out all my spark plugs using a conventional socket! I can route my wires under the headers and not burn them.

I felt bad for.... 0.00001 seconds while I cut the inner fenders out

Note! These horrible yellow plug wires are temporaries until I can route long custom ones behind motor over my bellhousing tucked away. More to come there.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had an old hurst shifter laying around. Arms wouldn't work right. Had an old ITM shifter laying around. Welded up my own linkage that would work. Had to do some creative modifications to my tunnel to get the Muncie and linkage to fit.

Turns out.... I had my crossmember in backwards which is what was causing the rubbing. If I would have had it in on the proper offset, I probably wouldn't have had to cut at all. Oh well! I ended up using the access to fab those linkage rods. Will be welded shut again soon and covered with interior kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I have to do to go spool it up is to bleed the new brake system, plug up my non-nova block dipstick hole, fab a new dipstick attachment to allow for headers / alternator, and put some gas in it.

Sounds mean and ready to go. The cam / high compression motor combined with these headers is downright music to my ears. It's been sitting for 10 years, and deserves to see daylight!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
worked all the kinks out of the motor, hot stall, bad battery, etc. Put the super tune on it and I'm happy to say the motor / drivetrain is good to go. Putting coil springs in the front, then alignment and I'm just going to enjoy the car as is the remainder of the summer! Prep for paint starts in October. Taking a break until then!

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Last night was first cruise downtown with new coil springs.

Just FYI for others that are in same situation. This rig was dumped in the front due to the original coil springs and setup for 6 cyl. I put new Moog replacements in and it brought the front up about 1.75". So if you are wondering how much the front end will come up, that's what it did for me. I'm wanting it up even higher in the front so will put in spacers and report back what it does.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks! Last night was first cruise downtown with new coil springs.

Just FYI for others that are in same situation. This rig was dumped in the front due to the original coil springs and setup for 6 cyl. I put new Moog replacements in and it brought the front up about 1.75". So if you are wondering how much the front end will come up, that's what it did for me. I'm wanting it up even higher in the front so will put in spacers and report back what it does.
Hello & cool ride. What radiator and fan shroud are you running?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey there, thanks! I just had an extra flat track aluminum radiator laying around. It's actually not specific to the Chevy II and I had to fab some brackets to slide it into. Wouldn't recommend that radiator.

The fan shroud is a very inexpensive steel shroud I got from Summit. It was too floppy so I welded a bar onto the back of it to stiffen it up then welded a lip onto the top so that it could sit on the radiator.

So... It's really a Frankenstein setup that works exceedingly well and was basically free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
5 lug conversion

I have had a lot of enjoyment and ideas generated by looking at many build threads. Thought I would start one for my project.

Bought from a buddy a surprisingly sound 1962 Nova sedan 6 cyl this december for my birthday. Took it home that night and gutted interior. Next day took out motor. Next day took out all wires.

It is now June and the following is complete:

-5 lug conversion
-front disc conversion
-complete new wiring from AAW (best thing could have ever done)
-took a DZ style solid lifter motor from our 69 camaro and dropped into the Nova along with a Muncie
-3:73 posi rearend from donor Nova
What did you do to it to get 5 lug on front and rear ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rearend came from a 66. It was 3.73 posi, I literally just bolted the entire thing on from the leaf spring shackles. Took about an hour.

Frontend came from a 63 that was already converted to 5 lug disc and it was all tore out for a straight axle drag project. Same thing, I just bolted the entire assembly on from the control arms. Took about two hours.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts