Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post here. I have a general question that I know it's tough to answer due to many variables. I just acquired a Chevy ll from what I believe to be the 2nd owner. It has only 45k original miles. Is a 3spd on the tree. It has been parked by the current owner for nearly 30yrs. It is in remarkable condition. It has the normal surface rust here and there but l can find zero actual rust anywhere on this car be it the body frame or suspension. The interior looks like it's been in a time capsule. Is there any value at all in these cars in original 6cyl/3spd form? Would it even be worth it just to go through the usual maintenance items on this car to ensure safety/reliability (brakes, fuel system/ign components/cooling system, etc) and attempt to sell it in its original 6cyl form or just scrap all that and go with updated suspension/fuel system/brakes/drivetrain etc instead? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. I am capable of performing all the work necessary, either route myself at my shop. So the labor costs will be minimal, if any.
Thank you!

· Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
7,305 Posts
What model is it? 2 door hardtop, 2 door coupe, 4 door, wagon???

Some pics might help, but don't turn this into a for sale ad.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
You said just acquired and are asking about selling, are you trying to flip it and get the best return or are you wanting to keep it, enjoy it but also make some improvements without decreasing the value

15,314 Posts
The cowl tag decodes to a 1962 Chevy II 300 Series six cylinder 2 door sedan, Adobe Beige exterior with Fawn vinyl/cloth bench seat interior. Is this correct?
Can you post some pictures of the exterior, interior, trunk and engine bay? Really hard to give you sound worthwhile advice when we don't know what the car looks like.

Bob

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cowl tag decodes to a 1962 Chevy II 300 Series six cylinder 2 door sedan, Adobe Beige exterior with Fawn vinyl/cloth bench seat interior. Is this correct?
Can you post some pictures of the exterior, interior, trunk and engine bay? Really hard to give you sound worthwhile advice when we don't know what the car looks like.

Bob
Thank you very much Bob and I will soon as I get it back here in my shop. Most likely a few more days👍

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,714 Posts
I do agree = we would need some pictures : and, from all angles .

you can also do a search : Posting pictures on SNS (just look & see that it's for posting pictures on the 'newer format' .

That IS Very easy too do - - and you can post those pic's - - like several in just one post .

Thank you , jim

ps -
the "Search Community" box , at the top of each page = works very good .

· Super Moderator
5,867 Posts
You ask some good questions. Much of what you're thinking about doing is dependent on the current condition of the car, how it was stored and when it last ran. I'd take the time and give it a try for the existing driveline, though I might be in the minority. I think that's a fun drivetrain, true to the originality of the car, and really the one the car was designed for initially in nearly every way. Have that drivetrain in my convertible, and I could have chosen anything to put back in there when I went through a lot of the car.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do agree = we would need some pictures : and, from all angles .

you can also do a search : Posting pictures on SNS (just look & see that it's for posting pictures on the 'newer format' .

That IS Very easy too do - - and you can post those pic's - - like several in just one post .

Thank you , jim

ps -
the "Search Community" box , at the top of each page = works very good .
You said just acquired and are asking about selling, are you trying to flip it and get the best return or are you wanting to keep it, enjoy it but also make some improvements without decreasing the value
Good day. I am looking to flip. I will try and include some photos here now if I can.
White Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
You ask some good questions. Much of what you're thinking about doing is dependent on the current condition of the car, how it was stored and when it last ran. I'd take the time and give it a try for the existing driveline, though I might be in the minority. I think that's a fun drivetrain, true to the originality of the car, and really the one the car was designed for initially in nearly every way. Have that drivetrain in my convertible, and I could have chosen anything to put back in there when I went through a lot of the car.
I'm trying to post more pics but it tells me my limit is 10. I'm sure there's a way to post more i just don't know how. But the car is super original, I have the original underlying out not. It wasn't carpet but something else, like perhaps you'd find in a no top jeep. I'm sure it was original. There is some rust but not much at all. The only floor pan that actually needs replacing imo is the front passenger. The others are fine with just a few slight pin holes in the drivers front but otherwise solid. I've already cleaned the entire floor and have order a complete POR 15 kit for it which i will apply over the entire floor and then make repairs to the ps floor before installing the new carpet kit. The seats are flawless and look new. There is no other rust anywhere on the the car other than the typical light surface rust which again imo adds a very nice patina look. I will see today if I can get the original I6 running. It turns over very freely so I know it's not seized

15,314 Posts
There was no carpet on the floor of a 1962 Chevy II 300 Series car. The flooring is described by Chevrolet as 'black rubber'. There is a reproduction available, but it's a somewhat different composition than the original. The 1962 Nova 400 hardtops and convertibles had a carpet/rubber combo with rubber on the flat floor surfaces and carpet on the tranny hump. There is no reproduction available for this combo.

Your car looks great. You don't see many 300 series 2 door sedans. The 300 Series only existed in 1962 and 1963.

Bob

· Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,714 Posts
Oh yes - I agree that your Chevy II , looks very cool . You "Don't see these kind of cars" . . . everyday (or . . anyday ! ).

jim

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Bob
How do I determine what size i6 l have? I see two possibilities. 230ci L6 or 283ci L6?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts