Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, this was one of the more interesting areas on the car. It appeared to have been in a collision at some point in its life. Someone then tried to pull the damage out with a bunch of sheet metal screws and then slammed it full of fiberglass filler. The piece I'm holding is the corner of the rear crossbar that I found wedged inside the rear of the quarter panel. I managed to straighten it when I repaired the quarter panel/outer wheelhouse/trunk extension. Turned out well I think I just need to trim a bit and then primer and seam seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As said, Good Work. When you get this done and you will, make SURE you do a video when presented to your Dad. Sure would like to see his Response to such a Gift.
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out how to give him the car yet. I was thinking about parking it down the road "for sale" when he makes me swing in to look at it, toss him the keys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Engine came back from the machine shop yesterday. 0.60 over flattop KB pistons, forged SCAT connecting rods, forged crank (factory 10/10), Comp Cams 262 camshaft, screw-in studs and guide plated, new valves and seats. Should be a solid running baby 283. Now I just need to find an M20 4-speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving. Here is the passenger side quarter panel, trunk extension and outer wheelhouse. So, as you can probably tell, the car had some extensive "custom" work performed to the wheelhouse and rocker panel, along with a lot of previous repairs. The last photo was the condition that I found the rocker panel in.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I ended up rebuilding the rocker panel from a photo off of the internet. I know they have replacement rocker panels, but I am hesitant to remove such a large portion of the structure of the car. It certainly isn't exactly factory, but I didn't really have a good example to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The wheelhouse, trunk extension and quarter panel were all rather straight forward. Despite the back-to-back posts, all of this work took about two weeks. I wire wheeled and converted the rust and plan to use cavity wax on everything. All of the rocker panel, frame rails, and lap joints I used weld-thru galvanized primer. The plan is to clean/scuff, epoxy primer and then seam seal all applicable surfaces. Not picture was the rust repair around the top of the passenger taillight where it connects to the quarter panel. A side note, the quarter panel was actually about a 1/4 or so too short to reach the rocker panel and stay aligned with the body line so I had to cut the bottom off of it, extend it and then reweld it. Got to love aftermarket panel work.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here are some more photos of the repair. You can see the rust or dark area around the top of the quarter panel. Another side note, I am still looking for the following parts if anyone knows a line on them:
M20 4-speed with bellhousing.
Clutch pedal linkage, from the clutch pedal to the transmission.
1962 Front grill, I have two 1963 grills that came with the car that I won't be using.
Package tray supports (sheet metal pieces that support the package tray and create the partition from the cabin to the trunk.
Baby moon rims and hubcaps.
V-8 air cleaner (original-style, 1955-1967 All Makes All Models Parts | B3359 | 1955-67 Chevrolet; Air Cleaner; Small Block; Vintage Style; with 4bbl; 4-7/32"; Includes Element | Classic Industries

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Awesome work, question about the welder setup you're using.

Can you run down the wire size, speed and amperage for the spot welding? Thanks
I use ~46 amps or setting B on my machine, and a wire speed of 3. If I’m doing thicker material, like the subframe, rockers I put the machine on C. My machine tops out at 175 amps and I use 0.030 wire with 75/25.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, I figured I would try to take on the driver's side quarter panel today. As usually, it was a mess from previous damage, poor factory fitment, and age. I didn't get a lot done but I should be able to weld it out here in the next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Another portion of custom work by the previous owner. The firewall to subframe brace was cut, I assume to clear headers. They did a good job using I believe a drill bit to make the cut. Luckily, I was able to get this portion from a repair section, instead of having to replace the entire piece. I used the section of the front subframe that bolts to this brace to ensure alignment of the bolts.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 44 Posts