Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently building, or should I say rebuilding, a 1962 Chevy II Nova. This was my Dad's dream car growing up and I would like to surprise him with it this summer. Since being stationed at JBLM, and close to home, I began looking for a project Nova for him and this is what I found. As you can see, this was a former drag car, and was quite beat to death. My plan is to restore it back to a reasonable condition. I'll start with the floorboards, move to the quarter panels, trunk pan and then the rest of the panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Passenger side toe board. Only issue was that each toe board was missing about 3/4 of sheet metal that extends the lap joint where the floorboard meets the toe board. Luckily, I was able to use the excess metal from trimming the toe board.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally finished with some of the repairs, I fit and welded the floorboards. I'm trying out the Speedokote line of refinishing products. This is their epoxy primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man that is a lot of green!!!!! Looks like you know what you are doing, great job your dad will love it!

Before I read all your comments I thought man I wish my front frame rails looked that nice. Nice are all beat up from years of previous owners being careless.

Keep up the good work!
Yeah, I wish mine were untouched. I think mine look close enough to factory that he'll have a hell of a time trying to compare them. We'll see!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So this was the repair I did for the firewall, where the blower motor goes. Unfortunately, I could not find a repair section so I used a section of the driver's side quarter panel where the fuel cap goes to replicate the lip around the motor. I don't think he'll know the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, this was one of the more interesting areas on the car. It appeared to have been in a collision at some point in its life. Someone then tried to pull the damage out with a bunch of sheet metal screws and then slammed it full of fiberglass filler. The piece I'm holding is the corner of the rear crossbar that I found wedged inside the rear of the quarter panel. I managed to straighten it when I repaired the quarter panel/outer wheelhouse/trunk extension. Turned out well I think I just need to trim a bit and then primer and seam seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
As said, Good Work. When you get this done and you will, make SURE you do a video when presented to your Dad. Sure would like to see his Response to such a Gift.
Yeah, I haven't quite figured out how to give him the car yet. I was thinking about parking it down the road "for sale" when he makes me swing in to look at it, toss him the keys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Engine came back from the machine shop yesterday. 0.60 over flattop KB pistons, forged SCAT connecting rods, forged crank (factory 10/10), Comp Cams 262 camshaft, screw-in studs and guide plated, new valves and seats. Should be a solid running baby 283. Now I just need to find an M20 4-speed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts