Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone on here explain to me why the pitman arm end of the center link has the springs and seals surrounding the bolt that connects to the pitman arm. 1958-64 Chevy Car Center Link Drag Link Repair Kit.
You would think you wouldn't want any side to side movement at all, just a bolt that connected the pitman arm to the center link with a nut.
You would think you wouldn't want any slack anywhere.
Thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
Can anyone on here explain to me why the pitman arm end of the center link has the springs and seals surrounding the bolt that connects to the pitman arm. 1958-64 Chevy Car Center Link Drag Link Repair Kit.
You would think you wouldn't want any side to side movement at all, just a bolt that connected the pitman arm to the center link with a nut.
You would think you wouldn't want any slack anywhere.
Thanks
Dave
I'm thinking it's power steering setup. I think that's also different on a '62. Was your car a power steering car? Send a picture?

I'm kind of an original type guy when it comes to repairing my Nova. But one of the few concessions I made to my '62 convertible was '63-'67 pitman arm, center link and idler arm. A slight modification to the mount for the idler arm is all you have to do, and then there's no more nonsense.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
62 Center Link

This car came with Factory Air, PB/PS and automatic. The AC is now has a Vintage Air System. Before me it looks like this had been restored way back sometime. I've pulled the engine and cleaned, painted and also redid the engine bay and installed a new 3 wire engine/front light harness from AAW.
Replaced everything mostly. The control valve is new but the slave is not. The idler arm was updated before me. I've thought about changing back to manual steering, but thats not a fact. I found a manual center link on Ebay and the center link on the pitman end also has that bolt and spring thingy on it.
The car likes to wander at about 50. A good wind will blow you sideways some. You have to be right on it while you are steering it.
I've going to take it to a front end shop that works on older cars Tuesday.
I'm like you, keep it stock. But safety first. I'll have them check out the gear box also. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it posted here.
Whats the difference in 62 and 63 Pitman arm?
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts