Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been looking at this car for 10 years or more sits in the same spot This pass week end I went by & someone was there . The Grandson about 50 or so . Found old grandPa has past away & got his dads phone # Called Dad & WENT to see & talk to dad today.about this ChevyII IT's not for sale but he might sell what is the car worth ? Everything is there been under a carport for years . Think with a hot bat. & new Gas I can get to crank
Thanks Larry

·
13,822 Posts
Larry, before even a wild guess can be made on the value, you'll need to find out if it's a 62 or 63. If it's a 63, is it an SS (no SS in 62)? Power top? Doors hanging straight? Extent of rust (especially underneath)? These are just a few of the things that are going to assist with trying to determine a rough value.
Bob

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I guess I should have told a little more on the Rag Top, No SS, no power anything 6cly 3 speed on the tree as for rust , I real don't see any but am going back to look harder for RUST All I know is to look in the trunk & under the carpet. Can anyone tell me any other places to look for rust Any help ill be Great. The car has been sitting so long the tires willn't hold air
. Thanks for your Help Larry

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
i've done several ragtops...all of them rusty,
check inner rocker panels(whole length),outer rocker panel seams where they meet 1/4 panels,around t/lamp assy's inside and out,floor pans around where your feet would rest,inner and outer rear wheel houses,rear frame members at spring shackles and frt fenders 2-3'' back from h/lamp rings.good luck!thx,cj

·
13,822 Posts
The convertibles have floor supports (inner rockers?) on each side that run the length of the floor pan. Make sure these are solid. A couple of years ago I saw one that was so badly rotted I could get my hand up inside it for almost the entire length. If these are rusting out you'll probably find the doors don't hang properly, either.
If you can, also check the mounting points for the convertible top assembly. You'll have to remove the rear armrest side panels to get to these. If the floor is rusted out, the lower attaching point for this assembly can also be a problem area.

Bob

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for getting back. May sound funny BUT I'm going to check out the rag top today . I can get there faster by water HA We have a place on the lake & across the water from us the rag top sits I will let you know wat I find
Thanks Again Larry

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By Water

Hi, I as able to go check out the rag top. It's a 1963 & it's guess like it as last time I sa it OK. The carpet has been changed out sometime ago but everything else looks the same Looking at the underside I really didn't see any rust. there is a small place on the back side other then that everything looks just like it as parked.
. Thanks for your help
. Larry

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's it really worth

I talked to the owner & tryed to buy the rag top for $2500.00 & I was tolded it's for sale but $2500.00 wouldn't buy It .Guess I want be driving a rag top anytime soon
Thanks Larry

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
hi larry,
i paid $4050.00 for my 63 ragtop in 1987.you probably hurt his feeling.lol.i don't pretend to know what prices are like for your area,but you can't buy any pre-73 convertible here for under $6000.00.keep in mind that although my handle give the impression that i'm' in the great white north',i'm only 2 hours north of seattle.thx,cj.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
CdnL79 and 2 black ragtops hit it big time with the inner rockers and other issues...mine where toasted and thankfully i found a donor (non rag top, but none the less) full rockers and i can tell you that it was NOT easy and NOT fun and if i were to charge someone to do theirs, it would be very expensive

make sure cheap bodywork isn't hiding problems like it was on mine, bring a small magnet to make sure its all good....it is a big pat on the back to have done all that work, but it was a PITA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts