Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I will be swapping my inline 6 for a 350 in my 63 2 door. Nothing crazy horse power... looking about 350-400 max. I see a lot of people doing a mustang II front clip swap. But I will not be auto-crossing, or full blown dragging it... just a weekend cruiser I can tromp on occasionally. Is there a way to do the swap without doing the mustang II swap? I know some Chevy II’s had a small block 327 in them. What all is it going to take to make it happen?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
There were 350's and 400's being installed in early Novas long before there were aftermarket front suspensions.

A 350 is physically the same size as a 327 so it will fit right in. You'll need V-8 motor mounts, an oil pan that clears the steering, an exhaust system that will clear the shock towers, a better radiator, etc...

Automatic or manual tranny?

·
Registered
394 Posts
You will want to swap the transmission. Your power glide (if original) is geared for the inline 6. The rear end gear is also likely a numerically lower gear (fine for highway cruising with the v8).

Big deal with a V8 swap in a first gen is having the right oil pan. If you stay with stock starring gear and linkage you will need a nova specific front sump oil pan and pickup as stated. If using a rack and pinion steering you need the more traditional rear sump oil pan.

Other changes can include spacing the radiator correctly if using a mechanical fan. The factory v8 cars had a radiator spacer that moved the radiator closer to the engine to achieve efficient cooling.

The throttle lever is also a little different on the engine bay side and obviuosly you will need new exhaust and motor mounts.

Tons of pics and threads on here if you search.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I did my 65 wagon from 230/PG to 700R4/350. Currently have a column shift, but will be changing to a floor shift because I just ordered CBR EPS column. I used a lokar cable throttle, aluminum radiator with electric fans. CPP suframe with front disc brakes and dual master cylinder from Right Stuff. For fuel delivery, went with 67 Nova fuel line from tank to fuel pump. It routes down the passenger rocker, rather than down the center of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts